question about panelviews

drummin89

Just a quick question about panelviews. Can they talk to anything other than a allen bradley PLC, specifically through the serial port to a microcontroller? At work we have a PanelView Plus 600 that the case is cracked and the front face plate is missing. Screen and everything else looks entacted.

Thanks,

FluxCap said:
You can configure the project that you download to the controller to use Kepserver and the modbus protocol.

This is the PDF for the implementation of the above:

Modbus Applications

For serial cabling between the terminal and a Modbus configured controller refer to Page 56, Connect Terminal to Modbus Network.

However, and depending on the controller make and model you wish to communicate with the PanelView Plus 600 over serial, there are many other communication drivers available for the PanelView Plus and PanelView Plus CE terminals through KepServer Enterprise.

From the above linked PDF...

Preface -

For communication with controllers, RSView Machine Edition products are configured with:

• RSLinx Enterprise for most Rockwell Automation networks or
• KEPServer Enterprise for RSView OPC servers.

The KEPServer OPC server expands PLC and device connectivity options by incorporating 26 communication drivers for the PanelView Plus and PanelView Plus CE platforms, and over 31 communication drivers for RSView Machine Edition running on a desktop. This guide will show you how to configure KEPServer drivers, specifically Modbus drivers, for RSView ME applications that run on:

• PanelView Plus CE terminals,
• PanelView Plus terminals,
• or the Windows 2000/XP environment.

Using configured KEPServer drivers in your RSView ME application, the terminals will be able to communicate with devices on a Modbus network.

Since that publication in 2007, even more communication drivers have been added to the list of KepServer Enterprise drivers that are available for the PanelView Plus and PanelView Plus CE terminals.

See attached.

George

KepServer_Enterprise Drivers_PVP.png

the controller is just an Atmel 8-bit microcontroller (atmega1284p).

there are a couple different communication protocols that it can be programmed to use. There are a few modbus libraries.

Ok, that's obviously not directly supported, but the above just broadens your options depending on which of the protocols your microcontroller supports and which you prefer to go with. If Modbus Serial suits, then the above PDF should get you going.

George