How to use rotary encoder in PLC

joeltee

Dear all plc experts, i am still new in automation industries, i wish to know how to connect rotary encoder to plc and use its counter functions, i really need to noe how it can works~ do i need to add a high speed counter modules? Or i can directly wire up the encoder to plc? M using omron CP1E currently~ or do i need to change plc? Please help me with that~ thanks a lot!

To connect any input or output signal to your controller you'll need of course the correct card, when you speak about an encoder you should clarify it a little bit more:

is it an incremental encoder?
is it an absolute encoder?

the difference here relies on the method used to transform the read pulses to a known unit system.

If you connect an incremental encoder you'll need to process the pulses with a counting card.

If you connect an absolute encoder you'll need a BISS, ... card to read them.

In any case you need the right input card and then you will have a variable which will be the number of pulses read or the actual encoder position.

Then you'll have to be worried only for the maximum values if you can reach them...

Good luck!