Freelance or Moonlighter Work Sources

CaseyK

In the cornfields, on the prarie, outside Chi-Town
No doubt there are a lot of people on here who are independents, freelancers, moonlighters, part-timers, etc. What is your best source for work. I have been most successfull contacting plant managers. This also means that I have had zero response from Purchasing Agents or Human Resources people. Most work I've gotten has been referals. Now that the economy here in the cornfields is in the toilet, I am not wanting to drive 75-100 miles one way each day to projects or travel 75% nationally or more of the time. Locally, jobs are $6-8.00 for skilled people. We are 60 miles from a dozen 100,000 population centers, not that things are much better there.

Years ago I was able to specialize in GE Fanuc PLC's or in switchgear, last couple of years, if it has wires, give me a call.

So, who do you other guys have success calling on for work. Curious minds want to know, and I suspect that there are a lot of them!

Thanks.....casey

Casey,

I started out pretty much like you, even taking out newspaper & yellow pages ads - not getting one response.

I started calling on Used Machinery dealers, looked at the equipment they had in their warehouses & performing quick repairs right on the spot for $10.00 cash. Then agreeing to do their repairs for $10.00 per hour - if they referred me to thier customers. Turns out they have customers asking them frequently for someone to fix or update the machine they just bought from them.

With this deal from 3 dealers I haven't had a day off in 4 years since the machinery builder I worked at closed.

Leperking1

You have to evaluate your own situation to decide what to do about insurance. I'm a licensed contractor so Yes we have insurance, and pay a great deal for it. In my opinion having insurance is like painting a big fat red and white target on your back. The lawyers always go where the money is, and nowhere else, no matter who's at fault.

Depending on who your contracting with and the contract terms you may be required to present proof of General Liability insurance, and If your working on their site, Workmans Compesation Insurance. If your doing consulting, or programming off site you may get buy without it. My suggestion is to try to fly with out it, and only bite on issues that provide very little exposure. As your work load and type grows then you can look into it.

If you decide you need insurance go with one agency for all of your insurance needs. Gen Liab, Worker Comp, Auto, M & E, Health, Bonding, etc.. It will make life much simpler, and they will work harder for you.

good luck.

Insurance

I have to agree with elevmike.

When I was on Engineering Contracting, I did not have any, no one ever asked, or required it. I was doing work for some extremely large companies, too! .

For design drafting type services, insurance doesn't seem neccessary to me. For serious mechanical design, especially if structural issues are involved, probably a good idea. Consulting and Programming is a grey area. Technically, if you push the button the first time, and it works, you are safe. If they start it up the second time and it works, even better. Once they change anything in program or phyically, it is their problem.

As far as repairs, physical modifications, and upgrades, then I think I would want it. For years I was an unlicensed Electrical Contractor and didn't have any. Now I am a Licensed Electrical contractor now, so I have to carry (by local ordinances) the General Liability ($1,000,000/$5,000,000) for $350 per year,and several local surety bonds @ $50 each. I do not have Workmans Comp, but some corporations require it even for solo operators. Workmans Comp is usually not required for relatives. I recently had one of my cars changes from regular to commercial for insurance, it doubled.

Overall, I am dropping as much insurance as I can, right now.

regards....casey

Greg

That is a good idea. Though I think I will try for more $$$. There is a local metal fab shop and machinery maintanence company that seems to be growing. They also had a union Plumbing Shop too, that was busy, but it just shut down. Several used equipment dealers within 60 miles, so when I run out of work the end of the month, it will be time to get on the phone.

I have to admit that I have thought about going back to "Corporate Life". Working through a Contract House was almost tollerable, but being a "Real Employee" always stunk. Worst was the "LARGE" tire company (that was a "BAD YEAR" in my life), second worst was being the Technical Genius for a large Police Department, though there was an unlimited budget for test equipment, toys, and parts.

I am intriqued at all the out of state contract people that show up locally for projects, and the Chicago contract houses or any of the locals heard of the work. Maybe it is the old adage, it you find it locally, it can't be any good. I have one customer that drives 60 miles to a Home Depot to buy stuff, when there is one 45 miles closer.

anyway, thanks for the post, best regards.....casey

kc9ih said:
Locally, jobs are $6-8.00 for skilled people. We are 60 miles from a dozen 100,000 population centers, not that things are much better there.

Truth! This equals to the price from here, and manufacturer they charge 10X. That country that pays by ability?

I find personal contacts to be the best source of work. They also can tell you who to stay away from.

Cold calling has not worked for me and I do not advertise as most of the calls either want something for nothing or are looking for a different skill set. It seems like a waste of money.

You should carry some general business insurance. ElevMike is right, it does seem like you are painting a bulls-eye on your back, but no insurance risks your house. If you are licensed, then insurance is usually required. I consider insurance to be one of the selling points that separates me from the pack. On a related subject, get a good contract with terms and conditions that limit your liability to what you have done wrong.

As for driving, I consider a four hour drive to be the price of living where I want (Northern Vermont). Most of the local companies are under such stress that work here is limited. I also charge less for local work or for people I know are not making a lot of money. The hourly take is less, but I sleep better at night. Most of the time I do not get mileage and have to hide the cost in my rate. The market is such that you have to be flexible and willing to work with the customer.

It is (and has been for the last two years) taking much longer to get work funded. Buyers are not interested in what you can do for them, only how little can they get you to do it for them.

Despite all the ups and downs, I do not want to go back to work as a regular employee!

I agree with mike as well. We had a customer's employee get his hand smashed in a closing door once. The laywer came out wanting 10 million. We told him we dont have liability insurance. He then said he wanted 10 thousand....

Matt

Not familiar with N. Vermont. But don't know of any large manufacturing areas there. I used to commute on contract work a lot. I drove into suburbarn Chicago (La Grange, 12 miles from lake, to of EMD Electromotive). It was about 90 miles, and usually took 75 minutes, since I refused to keep normal hours and missed rush hour. With the contract work, a short project is a year. I hate projects that just don't die. Let me go in, design and program a few panels, then move on. When I started contract engineering work in 1988, I thought there would always be a ready market, even to the point of day work, go in, do a drawing, then leave.

Documentation -

You would think every plant would want good documentation. A current schematic, copy of the program print out, etc. Many places I have been in don't even have the original schematic, and none of the modifications. Found many programs hand wrote on a legal pad, with most of the changes. I have never been able to convine any one to update their drawings. "We'll get to it someday". They only seem to call for troubleshooting help on the rare occaisions I am swamped and can't get to them. I have seen many machines removed from service because the staff could get them fixed. Probably nothing major wrong.

Health Insurance -
I have talked to N A S E and wasn't overly impressed. Anyone have thought on that.

I have to admit I have been looking into a steady gig to get a regular check and benefits, and go back to moonlighting like the old days. Let's see, worked less hours then, had more money, had benefits, had more money, had more money. Naaahhhhh, that would take the fun out of it.

I have an additional policy on my liability insurance, that covers me no matter what company did it, no matter who gets blamed. It is an extra $50 per year, and seems well worth it. It is probably only $10 or $20,000.

About time to tie the ribbons on this thread...thanks to all

casey

Last edited: