Communications Time-out error S7-200

bomber52

Software: Step 7 MicroWin V4Sp9
Cable: "Jing Xin" USB PPI Cable (purchased through ebay)
S7-200: GES7 214-1AD22-0XB0

Hi,

I purchased this item on ebay in order to get hands on experience with plc programming. The unit was advertised as "refurbished and working".

I am having trouble with setting up communications with the device. The cable appears to be working, as I get activity on the TX/RX LED's when the program is attempting to communicate with the plc.

Does anyone have a similar setup and can you tell me if there are any other settings I need please?

The attached images show the Step 7 searching for the plc and the error displayed after the time-out.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

bomber52

S7-200 searching.png S7-200 error.png

Hi Genius,

Thanks for the reply. My com settings appear to be correct, but the plc is not being detected when the software scans for a plc address (address scans run out to 126 on both 9.6 and 19.2 speeds - no plc detected). As I mentioned above, the step 7 s/w appears to be talking to the plc, because the TX and RX LED's on the cable work when the program is scanning the plc, but sadly, no response from the unit.

Regards,

bomber52

Try putting the plc in stop mode then search? The ports might be set to freeport mode when in auto.

Do you need the program in the CPU? if not have you tried to reset the CPU to factory default?

try a factory reset to bring back the plc port to a slow serial connection speed that would work with all cables.
you didn't mention 187.5k but usually a USB cable can run at this speed but the serial one is limited lower so if someone used it at 187.5 last, it wont connect. I don't know about your ebay cable but this is for the 2 Siemens genuine cable that i use. Same if the port was set for a third party communication network like modbus rtu etc..
make sure your plc isn't a chineese replica as i think it need a special software with chineese language in it but not sure

Thanks to everybody posting replies.

I found "wipeout.exe" on the siemens support pages to reset to factory default, but cannot talk to the plc with that, either. I think I have a brick.

If anyone has a similar unit, I would be happy to pay postage both ways and some cash for your time, to test my unit and cable on your system. Otherwise, I might be looking for another plc.

Cheers,

bomber52

make sure your plc isn't a chineese replica as i think it need a special software with chineese language in it but not sure

Check to see if the part number ends in CN so 6ES7-21x-xxxx-xxxCN

If yes then Jeff maybe correct and you need the China software to use the CPU

I have an ancient S7-224 AC/DC/Relay that you are welcome to. I just had power on it (110-240V a.c.) and checked comms, though I don't know if all the IO work. Comms are set for 19.2K. You just need to arrange transport from Manchester, UK.

I have checked the serial number, it does not appear to be chinese made (says "Made in USA").

I will follow Jeff's idea with a genuine Siemens cable to see if that solves the issue.

Thanks guys :)

Update:

Thanks to BryanG's generous donation, I have tested the chinese cable with Bryan's PLC and everything worked.

Looks like I had a bricked PLC.

Thanks for all your suggestions.