help with Configuring DF1 Protocol for PLC 5

sparkytex

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have to load a project to a PLC 5 processor via DF1 protocol. I have a laptop with a PCMK card in it with the 1784-PCM5/B Cable. I have to create a new driver in RSLinx. Its been so long since I've done this I forget how to create one for DF1 protocol. I cant remember What comms port, Device (PLC channel) baude rate ect.. to choose or even if DF1 is the right way to go. I attached a picture as well. This processor is brand new and hasn't had a project loaded onto it yet. Its currently plugged into a free rack with just a power supply to get things going. Is it even possible to use the 1784-PCM5/B cable with DF1 protocol? I cant put this processor on the LAN because I don't want it to interfere with the existing processor it is going to replace. Basically I need a way to get the program onto the processor without going online with the DH+ or ETHERNET. My laptop doesn't have a rs232 serial port either. only the PCMK card and USB.

thanks, TEX

rslynx.jpg

Last edited:
Is it even possible to use the 1784-PCM5/B cable with DF1 protocol?

No, your PCMK with a PCM5/B cable is for connecting to a DH+ port.

See links for how to use your PCMK card.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1784-um519_-en-p.pdf

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1784-in023_-en-p.pdf

The best way to connect to your processor is with a USB to serial adapter, a null-modem cable connected to the serial port ( 25 pin port) of the processor. This will support DF1 protocol.

In both cases check your processor's dip switches.

Last edited:
is it possible to use the PCMK card via PCM5/B to communicate to the PLC even though it isn't on the DH+ network. All I want to do is get the program downloaded to the processor. As I said before I cant actually put this processor on our LAN or DH+ network for the reasons described above. Do I just need to set an address with the Dip switches on the processor under S-1?

The 1784-PCM5 cable has that 9-pin D-shell on it because that was the old connector for DH+ on the "Classic" PLC-5 controllers. The "Enhanced" PLC-5 got a round 8-pin plug instead, but the both provide the same connection in parallel with the 3-wire DH+ plug on Channel 1A.

Out of the box, you can plug into a PLC-5 Channel 1A and expect it to be configured for DH+, at Node 1, at 57600 baud. You don't have to plug the Channel 1A into anything but your 1784-PCM5 or 1784-PCM6 cable.

There's a little adapter that converts the DB9 of the -PCM5 to the DIN8 of the -PCM6. I think the part number is 1784-CP7. We used to call it the "space shuttle adapter" because of its shape. Every A-B distributor or office has a bunch of them in a desk somewhere.

The 1784-PCM5 cable has that 9-pin D-shell on it because that was the old connector for DH+ on the "Classic" PLC-5 controllers. The "Enhanced" PLC-5 got a round 8-pin plug instead, but the both provide the same connection in parallel with the 3-wire DH+ plug on Channel 1A.

Out of the box, you can plug into a PLC-5 Channel 1A and expect it to be configured for DH+, at Node 1, at 57600 baud. You don't have to plug the Channel 1A into anything but your 1784-PCM5 or 1784-PCM6 cable.

There's a little adapter that converts the DB9 of the -PCM5 to the DIN8 of the -PCM6. I think the part number is 1784-CP7. We used to call it the "space shuttle adapter" because of its shape. Every A-B distributor or office has a bunch of them in a desk somewhere.

Ya the processor's dip switches on S-1 were all set to the down position from the factory giving the DH+ address of 0. I matched the current processors node which is 43 so when I swap the processors the DH+ address will match that of the old one. I got online with the PLC and downloaded the program after I fixed some minor errors in the logic. The revision in controller properties which was set for "A.2" has now changed to B? also what does the Return parameter in the JSR do? in the program the address is "B0:0" when I tried to download the program to the processor an error came up. I posted the picture. I've only used the JSR just to enable certain ladders like U:10 for ladder 10

error.jpg