RSLinx as an app. or service.

daba

Lifetime Supporting Member
Does anyone know why the newer (>3.51) releases of RSLinx, when running under vista or 7 don't have a GUI when running as a service? Is there a technical reason for this ?

I've used RSLinx for more years than I care to remember, and never had to worry about whether it was running as a service or an app., I've always had it configured as a "fit-and-forget" service.

But now (3.51 and later), when running as a service, you can't open the GUI to browse networks, add/configure drivers etc.

From the release notes ...

RSLinx Classic defaults to starting as an application.
If RSLinx Classic is running as a service, there is no graphical user interface (GUI).

If you need to configure RSLinx Classic, you must be in application mode.

Yes, I see it is the Windows version, not the RSLinx version, that dictates this.

However, once started as an application, it runs just like a service, and "closing" the GUI just minimises it to the task-bar, even if you have closed the program that "started" it.

I did try setting RSLinx to run at user log-on, and I found this article explaining how to do this, however, I found the RSLinx splash screen obtrusive, and it leaves the GUI on the screen.

I couldn't find a way to start it minimised, so ended up deleting the startup from the Task Schedule. Now I just accept that RSLinx either needs to be started manually, or it will start automatically by any app. that needs it.