PanelView Security

GregPLC

I have a PanelView1000 in which I would like to secure one of the buttons on a screen. (ie. password prompt once a reset button is pressed). I know you can set up security on individual screens, but is there a way to just set up a password for a button? As far as I can tell there really isn't, other than maybe making a copy of the screen the button is on and really take the operator to another screen just like the previous one they were on. They would think they are still on the same screen, but really they wouldn't be. Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Greg

Greg,

I've used "passwords" stored in the PLC. When the user enters the correct "password" (on some numeric input control) it effectively unlocks portions of code (that might run at the push of your button . . . ). The only real challenge was coming up with the logic to "log out" the user and re-enable the protection without it being a nuisance.

I have also used the "shadow screen" approach that you describe in at least one case.

Good luck,

Marc

Thanks

Thanks for the response, I think I will use the "shadow screen" method. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I was missing, as I don't have a heap of experience with the PV product line.

Greg