PanelView 1400e

david.rose

I am having a bit of trouble downloading a program into a Panel View 1400e. I have all the software, RS232 cable, and equipment. The problem that i am having is (cannot obtain com port (R112D)). Can anyone help? I am a newbie, but have some skills.

The most common cause of that error message is having multiple software packages attempting to use the same physical serial port.

What operating system and service pack are you using ?

What revision of PanelBuilder 1400e are you using ?

Do you have a built-in RS-232 port or are you using an expansion module or a USB/RS232 converter ?

Which Windows COM port number are you using ?

Are you using an Allen-Bradley serial cable, and if so what part number ? The correct cable is a 2711-NC1 cable.

If not, what is the pinout of that serial cable ?

Do you know if you are trying to use the PanelBuilder 1400e internal serial driver, or the RSLinx serial driver ?

Exactly what feature of what software program are you using when you see that error message ?

If you are using RSLinx, what version are you using ?

If you are using RSLinx, does it detect the PanelView 1400e in the "Who Active" browse ?

I am using Windows XP, revision 3.00.00, built-in RS-232, com port 1, N2711-NC1 cable, i tried both of the serial drivers, i see the error message when i try to download to the viewer on both of the programs (panel builder and the transfer utility 3.00.00), RSLinx Classic not sure of the version, and it does see the PanelView.

The most likely problem is that the built in serial driver and RSLinx are conflicting because they are ting to use the same serial port.

Try shutting down RSLinx and using the built in driver only.

Thank you Ken and Mickey,
I upgraded to version 5 and got to talk to the PanelView.

I just purchased a PV+ 1250 and now i need to order the software, any ideas of what software i need to purchase? I really don't know if i need the SE or ME and do i need to purchase Studio as well??? Please help, i'm really trying to learn as fast as i can, with minimal mistakes especially on a purchase on software...

And not to state the obvious, but... this kind of "What software package do I need to program my PanelView Plus" question is a basic question you can ask your A-B distributor.

I don't mind you asking here, and I realize that some folks who are in far-flung corners of the globe don't have distributors who can do more than accept orders and ship boxes.

But in Texas, you absolutely should be able to call your local distributor and get a person on the phone who knows what part number to order to get FactoryTalk View Studio ME.

The "ME" in the part number is important.

FactoryTalk View Studio has two editions; the "SE" Studio can program both large distributed "SE" systems as well as "ME" systems like PanelView Plus.

The "ME" Studio doesn't support "SE" systems, and is only in the $600 range for price.

I'm not going to criticize your distributor; I've had people claim they verified system designs "with Rockwell" and found out later they'd never talked to anyone but the receptionist.

no surprise

Thanks again,

I did contact local distributor but the person that i talked to was unsure.

I had a client a few weeks ago, who had trouble with a PLC-5 in a local rack. He called Rockwell Tech Support, and they, also, were "unsure" of how to help.