How to read Visual Basic HMI program?

unsaint32

My work has many Windows 7 touch screen PC as HMI for machine control. The HMI program is written in Visual Basic using ClickOnce Application. I believe it is a part of Microsoft.Net Framework 2.0. It is written by outside programmer.

I can access PLC Contrologix5000 projects, but I cannot access the VB HMI program in the touchscreen PC.

We also have Panelview+, which I can use RSview to read the HMI objects' tag addresses and alarm settings, etc. I can also do the same using C-more for AutomationDirect HMIs.

Is there a free software, or a part of Windows 7, that I can utilize to read the tags and addresses of the VB program that is written with ClickOnce Application?

Thanks

Hello,

You installed the program via ClickOnce but, it is not part of ClickOnce. Look in the task manager for the actual program when it is running.

My2c.

Last edited:
Hi Mark
I didn't install it. It was a hired outside programmer. I am a maintenance automation tech. When I run the program, it covers the whole screen and I cannot access the task manager.

Hello,

>I didn't install it. It was a hired outside programmer.

My point being, ClickOnce is a method to install programs, it is not the HMI.

If you have a keyboard, try Alt+F4 to close the window or CTRL+ATL+DEL to gain access to the task manager.

...which I can use RSview to read the HMI objects' tag addresses and alarm settings, etc.
RSView32 Works also has a Visual Basic module that allows reading and editing VB programs that are attached to RSView32 Works. To open the RSView Visual Basic editor, on the RSView left-side tree menu, click on "Logic and Control", then "Visual Basic Editor".

There is a very good chance the application was done with AdvancedHMI. If you can post a screen shot, I can probably tell you if it is AdvancedHMI. If it is, then I can then tell you how to get what you need.

despite all of your generous advice, it turns out to be much more challenging even for me to obtain a copy of the file. The file that I click on, in order to start the control application, is a short cut. When I right click on the shortcut and go to property, I do not even see the detination path for the short cut. I am guessing the short cut's destination is another server computer in the network. I will have to approach the management and tell them the situation and perhaps they can connect me to the programmer. I highly doubt it, but I should try. Thanks.

The file that I click on, in order to start the control application, is a short cut. When I right click on the shortcut and go to property, I do not even see the detination path for the short cut. I am guessing the short cut's destination is another server computer in the network.
If it was installed as a "Click Once" application, then it will be located in C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\.....

You can go to the Documents and Settings directory and search for *.exe

Ok, I finally tracked down the exe file. I have no programming experience in VB, C or anything like that. I just clicked on the exe file with my laptop and it shows "the program stopped working." Maybe it needs positive verification that it is connected to the PLC first?

Just to recap, here is what I wish to accomplish... let's say there is a push button and a numeric indicator on the screen of a Panelview. I want to know the PLC tag address of the digital tag for the button and the analog tag for the numeric indicator. I open either RSView Works or Factorytalk View studio. I open the tag editor/browser, and I find what I want there.

With this HMI program written in Visual Basic, is there a program that lets me do the same thing? Is there a GUI application that allows me to click on the graphic object on the screen and see the tag association?

Thank you all.

With this HMI program written in Visual Basic, is there a program that lets me do the same thing? Is there a GUI application that allows me to click on the graphic object on the screen and see the tag association?
It would be opened with Visual Studio, but you would need the source code from the vendor. You cannot easily open just the exe:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40787

Were there any dll files in the same folder as the exe?

I wish I knew more about using visual basic with panelviews... I wish I knew how to interface it with Control Logix 500 or 5000. I think it would be possible to make some real nice screens with it.

It really is very powerful ...in today's form is not that easy to learn... it's a LARGE undertaking... you can be like me ... know a little about a large subject... that's about the way I am with PLC's too.

there are a number of versions of visual basic that you can download for free ...I believe the latest one is visual studio for windows desktop 2013. I believe there is also another one to make "apps" that I don't remember the name.

If the thing is written in VB6, you gotta buy that, and it is expensive, old, obsolete, and doesn't work the way VB.net works these days.

I think what I'm getting at is: you're screwed if you don't have the source code project, and you're probably screwed even if you do.

I wish I knew more about using visual basic with panelviews... I wish I knew how to interface it with Control Logix 500 or 5000. I think it would be possible to make some real nice screens with it.

It really is very powerful ...in today's form is not that easy to learn... it's a LARGE undertaking... you can be like me ... know a little about a large subject... that's about the way I am with PLC's too.
If you haven't tried AdvancedHMI, you may be surprised at how easy it is to get started with building HMI's using the VB.NET environment. Within a few minutes you can have an HMI communicating with a ControlLogix without writing a single line of code. It was designed to be an "on ramp" for those that never used VB for an HMI, but yet you have full access to VB, so the more advanced users can do anything with it. Best of all, everything you need to get started is free, so if you do not like, you are not out of anything but a few minutes of time.