Beckhoff Boot project error

bartmarchand

At our company, for datalogger purposes,we use alot of Beckhoff CX9001 controllers.

I cannot find a solution for the error: "Creation of Bootproject failed".

This is what i've done so far:
- create a small plc program: LD Input1; ST Output1;
- Login to the empty controller, this will force a download of the program
- Create Bootproject online: successfully created
- Load additional library's: TcUtilities, TcBase and TcSystem
- Delete Bootproject online: successfully executed
- Login to the controller: compile and download of the program
- Create Bootproject online: error: "Creation of Bootproject failed"
- Delete library's from the project: TcUtilities, TcBase and TcSystem
- Delete Bootproject online: failed
- Restart the controller (power off)
- Create Bootproject online: error: "Creation of Bootproject failed"

any tips to solve this problem?

regards

Last edited:
Try to Access the Windows CE os and delete the documents and settings folder, this will remove all TWinCAT configuration files and leave the controller again as it was from factory.

If this is not working... well, you can try to delete all the wbp files and even reload the controller image with the Beckhoff specific tool for that.

Good luck!

1 a bootproject is not needed to delete, just overwrite the existing program.
if libraries are compiled but not used, it looks at your plc something is not correct handled.
Try to load the libraries in your first program,
then load bootproject.
then change your main program and delete the libs from it.
this is loaded on PLC
It sometimes goes wrong when remanent, constant, markers are used.
i am speasking dutch too.

success: the documents and settings folder as Joan mentioned was empty, so I didn't deleted it.
However, i have removed the .wbp and .wbp.tmp files and it worked to create a bootproject.

For each time I have this error, the only solution is manualy deleting the wbp files.

There are also a lot of .bin files in this directory, what is the purpose of these?
How can I check if my project will fit in the controller, size wise?

I didn't follow why you create a Bootproject, delete, then load libraries. I recall the libraries are referenced in my project on the PC (TwinCAT development environment) and built into the *.tpy "PLC executable" that is downloaded to the "PLC brain". My impression is that the Bootproject is a configuration that tells the PLC to automatically load and run your PLC code each time the PLC turns on. Obviously, I don't know how it actually works under the hood, so your approach may make sense.