Newbie looking for some advice

Justin S

I've been in the Air Force for the past 14 years. For half of that time I was an aircraft electrician and for the other half I was an avionics tech. I was hoping this would be a good start to getting into the PLC field. I know the basics of ladder logic and a very good understanding of electronic principles. I'm located in Texas and would like to get into the oil/gas industry, possibly offshore. I was hoping someone could give me a good idea how to get into the field from practically nothing. Thanks for any help.

I do know that a lot of oil and gas service companies in the Midland/Odessa area are always looking for Techs. That is the best way to get your foot in the door. Plus you can use the skills you already have almost from the start.

If you need some places to apply let me know and I can give you some company names.

That would be greatly appreciated, thanks. I didn't know if I would need any kinda of training or certificates. I was considering going to a junior college for the training, if the time and money put into it would pay of that is.

"Located in Texas" doesn't narrow it down very much does it? Instrumentation and automation contractors throughout the gulf coast are begging for techs. Go to Rigzone.com and you'll find numerous listing for work offshore and onshore. Anyone willing to work that can pass a drug test can have a job. Your military time is a big plus.

Looks like you may already have attacked some interest. Hope that works out.

If you want to keep looking here are some companies that I know are always looking:
Cameron Measurement (Linco Electromatic)in Midland, TX. I used to work for them when they were a small company. Then they were purchased by Cameron. I couldn't deal with the big company BS, but you being in the Military it will be a piece of cake :)
FMC Technologies: They have locations all over Texas. They make Oil Measurement equipment and need people with electronics experience to program and repair a lot of their equipment.

Good luck.