oil pipeline control system

Charbel

Dear,

What are the sensors / devices that are usually lcoated on oil pipeline getting oil from one place to another over long distance say around 100KM.

i guess there will be a metering skid at the receiving end. Do they need any ESD buttons on the line for closing valves in case of leakage?

thank you for your feedback :)

Charbel

typically they monitor pressure at any point that they can and they also monitor the amount of oil going out at each station and then the amount coming in at the gathering facility. using those values they can detect leakage.

Having been an engineer on the TransCanada XL Pipeline these are some of the devices found on the pipeline as well as the metering skids, tanks, customer terminals:
1.0 ESD first and foremost!
2.0 Pressure
3.0 Flow
4.0 Leak Detectors
5.0 Temperature (When needed)
6.0 Flame detectors.
7.0 Fire water systems

These are but a few.
It should be mentioned that most if not all of the above interact with the ESD in case of a system problem.

Hope it helps.
I may have some drawings that I could look at and perhaps get a more accurate list.

Malt