Proficy ME - comparing two offline projects (Rx3i PLC)

cstca

Question for PLC programmers with GE experience: what is the best way to compare two offline projects developed for Rx3i PLC?
We used a tool called CE Compare (not very nice but was doing the job), unfortunately this software is limited to 90-30 and 90-70 PLC. I called GE Support and they confirmed there is no tool developed in Proficy ME and they are not planning to develop such a tool. There is a way to compare the online program with the offline project, but most of the time I don't have access to a PLC and download my project just to do a comparison. I'm thinking to use Excel for this but I'm wondering if there are better ways to do it.
Thanks.
CoS

You could print the programs to PDF files so you could open them side by side and do a very coarse compare. I use PDF redirect as a PDF printer.

Not much better but maybe a little faster depending on the 'layout' of your Project.
In PME Right-Click "Program Blocks" and Export all Blocks to an empty Folder for each Project.
That will give you one 'xml' file for each Block.
Use your favorite file comparison utility to locate which Blocks are different and by looking at the xml file you can get a close indication of which rung(s) are different.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-file-comparison-utility.htm#Quick_Selection_Guide

I like Kdiff3. YMMV

Definitely not the best way, but finally an improvement from GE.

If you have PME 8.0, you can run multiple instances. Open two instances and put them on different monitors. Then compare rung by agonizing rung.