Multi-zone Safety system ?

milmat1

Hi All,

I am not experienced with multizone safety systems at all. And I need to design a system for a machine that has at least two separate zones.

Zone 1: Will have Estop button, two light curtains and some pull cord switches. Any of which Will Estop the entire machine as normal. Removing control voltage via a safety relay and pulling an STO (Safe Torque Off) Signal from the VFD's.. Just a normal emergency stop circuit....

Zone 2 however will be much different:

1, Operator enters zone 2 and triggers light curtain. At this point nothing happens until the overhead gantry needs to move into the area of zone 2 where the operator is. If operator is still in that area I will stop the entire machine as a normal estop.
However if operator exits the area and hits a local reset button before gantry is ready to move then machine will continue running..

Machine control is using a Control Logix PLC / VFD over Enet

What are the options here? I am considering using an ASI network (AS Interface) due to its programmability.