Ge fanuc 90-30 card selecting

BigAl13

Forgive me if my question is repetitive or verbage is off, learning this all as I go. I have a question what type of card would I need to accept a 4-20 ma signal from a meter that is powered.

A 4-20 mA signal is called an "analog" signal. The two most popular types of analog signals are voltage and current, although there are others such as thermocouple, load cells or RTD temperature sensors. Analog voltage signals are generally in the range of -10 to + 10 volts DC. Analog current modules are generally in the range of 4 - 20 mA, although it is not uncommon to find a range of zero to 20 mA.
You select a PLC module that matches the signal. In your case that could be IC693ALG221(4 channels) or IC693ALG223(16 channels) or IC693ALG442(4 channels input, 2 channels output).

Ok I did som e research and found the correct card for what I need. So this is how im figuring the wiring. I would take the positive 24vdcin to port 1 and the negative to port 19. I would then take a wire from port 19 to a terminal block and port 20 to ground. I would then take the positive output from th source and put that on a port 3-18 and take the negative from the source and put that to the terminal block?

better explanation

here are the modules that are available to me, I cannot add another module at this time because we are online and this plc has controls that online. What I have is a controller with a 4-20 ma output, the output is powered. It is a rosemont conductivity meter. I want to put the contact into the plc so i can monitor the conductivity from the node. How do i do this or can I do this with whats available?

Thanks

20140329_184133.jpg

Speaking of pictures, looks like one on how to wire it right there. :)

The module on the left is an IC693ALG223, I believe, this should answer your questions on it: Click for instructions
If not come on back.

yeah i know the panel is a mess it was a hurry up job done a few years ago and havent had an outage since. what do you mean how to wire it is right there?

The screws on the PLC module are called terminals, not ports. The Rosemont conductivity meter is called a transmitter, not a controller. The PLC is a controller. I know I'm being somewhat anal, but it helps to interpret your question when you use the terminology the same way as everyone else.

You say the Rosemont is powered. Is it already in place and powered by an existing 24 VDC supply or will you need to use the PLC's 24 VDC supply?

The High Density Analog Current Input module (IC693ALG223) is the only one in the picture where you can connect the signal from the Rosemont.You will need to connect the Rosemont's DC- wire to terminal 19 of IC693ALG223. You will also connect the Rosemont's negative signal wire to terminal 19 of the IC693ALG223. If you are going to use the PLC's 24 VDC supply to power the Rosemont, connect the Rosemont' DC+ to terminal 2 on t IC693ALG223. You will connect the Rosemont's positive signal wire to any available unused terminal between 3 and 18.

sorry

Sorry for my terms but.like I said this is brand new to me. The rosemont is a solucomp ii analytical ithe outputs in it have their own power. Thats where I dont know what to do because the other ones ive looked at get the power from the plc

Im going to explain as well as I can what I want to accomplish. I want to view the conductivity reading from the node. The plc in the picture I posted is what I have available. The transmitter that I have to get the signal from is the rosemont and the out puts on the rosemont are powered 4-20 ma. I need to know if it is possible with the modules that I have available to use the powered ma signal from the rosemont. Will it be a direct connection to the module? Do I need to use a resistor?

I googled the Rosemont model you posted. There is a 115 VAC model as well as a 24VDC model.

In your picture, the module immediately to the right of the CPU module is the best place to wire the signal from the Rosemont. It appears from the picture that there is nothing connected to terminals 3, 5, 7 or 9 of that module. Connect TB7, terminal 3 on the Rosemont to terminal 3 of the PLC module. Connect TB7, terminal 4 on the Rosemont to terminal 19 of the PLC module. As long as you connect the 4 - 20 mA signal from the Rosemont to that module you won't need a resistor. You would only need a resistor if you were to connect a 4 - 20 mA signal to the voltage input module locate one slot further to the right.

If you are going to use the same 24 VDC power supply that is connected to terminal 1 of the PLC module to power the 24VDC Rosemont unit, make sure it can handle the additional 250 mA load you are adding. The Rosemont specifications for the DC powered unit say it requires 6 watts of 24 VDC power. If you use that power supply then you will need to connect the DC+ (which is already connected to the PLC module's terminal 1) to Rosemont TB1, terminal 1 and the DC- (which is already connected to the PLC's terminal 19) to Rosemont TB1, terminal 2.

My suggestion to you is to first connect power to the Rosemont and use a milliamp meter to make sure you have an output signal from it before making the final connections to the PLC. You may have to set some configuration parameters in the Rosemont unit. It appears it can be set up for either pH or conductivity as well as for 4 - 20 mA or 0 - 20 mA range. That's from a quick scan of the specs. I did not read the manual in detail. I strongly suggest that you do so before hooking it up.

If you connectthe Rosemont to the IC

Thanks ill try it. The rosemont is configured and online at the moment but not able to view remotely. I tested the tb7 outputs for ma and both outputs gave a ma output. Where my concern comes from is that there are several other outputs installed to the plc modules that use the plc 24v power and being completely new to this I am very unsure of the way I intemperate the manuals.