USB over Ethernet

sbaum

Does anyone have advice on solutions for creating a remote USB connection?

I am testing USB Network Gate by Eltima Software and seems cool, just thought there might be some experience or advice out there.

I'll be installing this on a Panel PC to remotely connect to the PLC via USB

Never had to do that before. Not really a standard type of setup which is why you're prolly not getting any replies. I've never even heard of this configuration before. I get that you "have" to use USB. I'd be interested in finding out what the answer is here..

I used a no name IP-USB box a few years ago to get to a UIC interface, and on to a legacy DH485 network. It worked fine within the Lan, not when conneted to the Fortinet gateway, the config softawre wouldn't find the box to map the port.. The unit you are looking at specifically mentions VPN, so looks good... You are right, USB cool when you are parked next to it, not so much when off site...

I've been testing the USB Network Gate software for the last couple days and it's been working very well.

BTW I'm connecting to an Omron CP1L remotely.

I installed the Omron driver on the Panel PC and setup the USB Network Gate software and I can remotely connect (with a **** Cosy 141). It works really cool.

I like the hardware idea of the B&B unit though to eliminate any software, but don't need a 4 port hub. Just an IP to single USB would fit my application better.