Pulse trains producing "s-curves" for sign wave motion

Lamboom

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi ... I'm looking for a pulse train output PLC that can drive IAI's Controller PCON PL/PO to get an actuator slider to move in a sine wave (sorta s-curve) motion. Slider never stops at a "point". Want about 10 to 20 selectable choices, which result in repeating sinusoidal slider movement ... where the only significant difference between these choices, is the time between the peak positions, and the distance between peak positions.

Can anyone recommend a PLC that can do this with the IAI PCON PL/PO ?

Thanks much.. Regards, Michael
PS: open-ended would probably work...

Last edited:
Thanks For the reply Peter -
Could you be more specific? .. Do you have a particular controller in mind? I'm sort of stuck in the plan that you want to control a slider actuator, you need a controller designed for that actuator .. the most common are the "position" type... where a location is set, a velocity, along with acceleration limits when starting and stopping the move is entered as a "point" .. and a PLC commands the controller to go to that point. Some controllers take "Pulse trains" which can define the movement history of the slider from start to stop. In my case, I want the slider to cycle back and forth until told to stop.. all the time following a sine wave pattern... not a trapezoid. All controllers are "Motion controllers" .. Are you talking about an "animation controller"?
I think some are called that.. but are VERY expensive, closed loop systems. The IAI PCON PL/PO controller driving almost any IAI actiator, driven by pulse trains, can presumably make the slider do anything .. even sine waves. But, one has to find a PLC, with pulse train output, that can do that. Thanks again, Regards, Michael

Thanks Mickey.. I know about Deltamotion .. I don't think I can afford them yet. My project is very low budget, and must be quite simple. I'm looking at Keyence, but, I know nothing about how those PLC's work. I'm certain DeltaMotion would do the job; however, I suspect it's overkill... thanks again.. Regards, Michael

Hi Peter- I should have mentioned that. Very slow, periods from 0.3 sec. (3.3 Hz) to 2.5 sec.(0.4 Hz)... The actuator is driving a wave maker in a miniature ocean wave tank. Well, it's not "miniture" ... but, it's small. It would fit on a large desk, in a school lab, or a museum. I helped design the Tsunami tank at the Chicago Museum of Science and industry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9hQJd5vNWY&feature=related

Dear Osmanmom - Thanks for the info.. I checked the attachment. Your trace is not quite a sine wave, it's more like connecting half circles. My application requires sign waves, and even requires a mathematical addition solution of many sine waves (but that's another story) If you check out my last reply to Peter ... there is a link, showing a similar application. I could probably get away with "s-curves" .. but, for now, I'm looking for sine waves .. :)

We know about wave generatation

My application requires sign waves, and even requires a mathematical addition solution of many sine waves (but that's another story) If you check out my last reply to Peter ... there is a link, showing a similar application. I could probably get away with "s-curves" .. but, for now, I'm looking for sine waves .. :)
Our controller is controlling this wave generator.
http://www.ohmsett.com/
Check out the videos.
We are under a NDA as to the exact formulas used to generate the waves but in does involve adding together many wave forms. The wave could be generated as a function of simulated wind speed, current and depth.

The controller is fast enough to generate random waves on-the-fly.

Hi Peter.
I am quite familiar with Ohmset. A friend of mine, Neal A. Brown, designed the random seas for Ohmset... it's a small world... :) The system I'm building can be viewed on my website (upon which, I've only spent a few hours .. so, there's other, unrelated info there, and it's far from ready for the public) The software is finished for generating an analog output, which controls a Tolomatic, analog input driver. It's not too bad, considering the cost. The PC program can make sine waves, random seas, rogue waves, and tsunamis. The Tolomatic actuator performs well, it could be better. I'm trying to investigate more responsive systems, that might actually calculate commands from simple mathematical equations for sine motion. Rather than using a computer to generate the signal for a DAC which feeds an analog input driver. Regards, Michael
http://www.microoceans.com/Home.php

Osmanmom .. You are awesome! (a person of few words, but still .. awesome) That actuator is amazing! I never knew something like that was available. I'll look into it. Thanks much.
I hope it's affordable. My original question still stands: Can I do something with an affordable pulse train PLC driving IAI's PCON PL/PO? I do have some of that stuff laying around. However, I'll certainly check out everything required to make that system work. And thanks for the tsunami paper! To be continued... regards, Michael

osmanmom .. quick look at Nitek shows no distributors in the US. Looks like a great system, they have a nice driver for it. Anyone in the United States make a linear motor like that? .. it does deliver enough force, by the way, for wave making.. probably couldn't make a tsunami .. :)