Can anyone recommend a good GSM texting 'box'

Goody

I have a customer that has asked of a method of being texted should a fault occur during none working hours.
They do galvanized dipping on a huge scale and the pot must stay molten during the night and weekends.

I built the control panel a while back and it has a Mitsubishi PLC and HMI with plenty of spare I/O

I have had a look around of course but I would prefer some recommendations from people who have installed them.

There is no networking involved - just a 'box' GSM capable with several inputs to text different fault problems to different people.

I've used comlink in the past, easy to set up. But limited in number of alarms.
http://www.comlink.se/

I know Mitsubishi had some standard solutions to send alarms from the PLC through a modem, allowing you to send values and status signals. Maybe your Mitsubishi rep can help you. I guess that would be Beijer in the UK.

There is no telephone line available.
But the one I saw was basically a cell phones guts in a box (mobile phones to us Brits) - it even came with a free sim card that doesn't cost anything to make calls or texts.

Outputs from the plc triggered pre-written texts within the 'box' to designated phones.
No telephone wires just a box inside the panel with an ariel if the signal is weak.

There is no telephone line available.
But the one I saw was basically a cell phones guts in a box (mobile phones to us Brits) - it even came with a free sim card that doesn't cost anything to make calls or texts.

Outputs from the plc triggered pre-written texts within the 'box' to designated phones.
No telephone wires just a box inside the panel with an ariel if the signal is weak.

I have used several of these -

http://www.remmon.com/en/products/remote_terminal_unit/sms_data/rcom.php

does exactly what you have described except no free sim.........

I have used TELTONIKA http://www.teltonika.lt/en/ TWCT22 in several projects and am quite happy. I still have few in stock for small projects. It has 4 digital inputs/ 2 analogue and 4 relay outputs. Many combinations to whom to send SMS if an error occurs and it also has some logic gates which you can use. Can sync its clock via Internet- GPRS