communications links

sky

hello Peeps. Im fairly newto PLCs and i am stuck on a particular question on an assignment that i am doing. the question is.
Describe one example in each case, what is meant by each of the following terms relating to communications links between devices in a control network.1. The communication medium.2. The signal.3. The communication protocol. if anybody has any information on this question it would be gratefully recieved and would enable me to hand in this assignment. i have tried looking on the net but could not find anything. am i looking in the right place? :(

When is that assignment due?

Are you looking in the right place? To get info: absolutely yes, to get your assignment done for you: definitely no. If I were in your place, I would search the web for the "OSI 7 layer model".

Regards,

Last edited:
I have two weeks left to finish it. The assignment is about architecture and applications

Cheers

Sky,

two weeks should be enough time to do it. The link provided by Eric is one of the best. I recognised it the moment I clicked it.

Eric,

this time I've bookmarked it, should have done it the first time this link came up here.

Phil,

maybe it's a good idea to place this link (and similar ones) somewhere on the site or to provide a place where members can store this kind of links (similar to the files section).

Kind regards,

Tom Jenkins said:

Tom, Don't you have kids? Peeps are those little sugar coated marshmellow chicks that you stick in your kids Easter baskets. Then they get all mooshed up and stuck in the couch, or in the carpet etc..

Don't think he was greeting us as 'little sugar coated marshmellow chicks'!!! I think its from a character who used to be on UK TV (can't remember who though?? Harry Enfield i think). Short for 'People'............. lolis :D

My kids are all grown up, so I suspect even they are a little out of the hip and trendy lingo.

It has been a long long time since someone thought I was so sweet they should be calling me after Easter candy!

I'll be nice, for now...

Are you having trouble with the terminology?

"Medium" is another name for the physical connection between devices (or a psychic advisor). And don't assume the devices have to be touching, or connected by copper wires.

"Signal" is how the devices use the physical medium to transmit data. For example: if I want to send information to Tom, I send up smoke signals. The medium is air and the signal is the smoke.

"Protocol" is how devices understand each other.

Your teacher is looking for much more specific answers (I hope). But, this should help you get on the right track.

AK