Conductive Level Switch vs Float Switch

Charbel

Dear,

application is for TSE water coming from a treatment plant to be used for irrigation. I will be controlling the pumps based on the level, material for both instruments will be selected to be suitable for the type of fluid in the tank.

Operation wise, which one do you think is better?

thank you!

charbel

How reliable do you want your system to be? Do you want it to keep running if one switch fails? If so, use both types of switch, with a selector switch to switch the controls form one to the other. Then a level device failure is fixed by simply turning a switch.

Originally posted by Lancie1:

Then a level device failure is fixed by simply turning a switch.

...assuming you are continuously cross-checking both switches against each other. If you aren't you have a 50% chance that the switch you change into is also failed. You could witch between them every month as a part of normal operation. That decreases your exposure but doesn't completely eliminate it.

Keith

I've had better experience with simple float switches if those are the only choices.

Better yet, go with ultrasonic, and use Lancie's switch idea to select floats as a backup.

I have had a few instances where a float switch has sunk, or been fouled and not operated as expected.. I usually use a conductive level controller, but quite often make my own probes to add some weight and distance between. If you are looking analogue, current trend here is hydrostatic PT's...