FactoryTalk View Studio .mer Creation Issue

enagy

I’ve got FactoryTalk View Studio installed on a Windows 7 64bit PC, but when I try and create a .mer file it only gives me the option “never allow conversion” and the other options are greyed out.

The issue is that my laptop has a Windows XP virtual machine x86 on it and I can’t open the file. I tried to do a backup .apa file but then it tells me that it’s an invalid archive. I’m running v6.1 on both computers.

Any suggestions on how to get the file onto my laptop so I don't have to keep running between my PC and laptop when I need to modify the screens?

Thanks!

The very unfortunate part of running FTVS on a 64bit machine is that the application can no longer be edited on anything but 64bit machines. You cannot restore and edit the application on a 32bit machine.

The reasoning has to do with the 64bit version using a different database than the 32bit version.

You can migrate 32bit applications over to a 64bit machine, but like I said before, they cannot be converted back.

edit: Check out KB:456828

Last edited:
Painful indeed, sorry you had to find out the hard way. I was thrilled when they finally added 64bit support, but then very disappointed when I found out the one major caveat. I work for an OEM, so running it in 64bit was out of the question.