Zen programming examples

tmitch5188

I'm trying to learn how to program a Zen PLC by myself. I need to cycle an output relay and be able to vary the on/off time for x number of cycles. (I have this 1st part working), then I need to change the duty cycle for a different number of cycles at a different duty cycle.

Can this be done with a Zen 10C1AR-A-V2? Like I said, I have a program that sets a duty cycle and cycles for a fixed number of counts through each cycle. I can even display where I'm at in the test.

Thanks in advance.

Quick check of the ZEN programming manual points to needing to replicate the timer and counter logic with the new count and duty cycle values.

Once the first count is complete, enable the new value logic.

If this were a plc with a bit more functionality, you could load new preset values into the timers and counter, but the ZEN does not support this.

Hope this will help.

...then I need to change the duty cycle for a different number of cycles at a different duty cycle.
Use one of the 4 front-panel buttons to switch to the second duty cycle (by using a second set of timers and counter with different Preset values).

According to the ZEN Operation Manual, there are Twin timers ("W" type) that do the ON and OFF times in the same timer. By using one Twin timer for each cycle, you could do 2 different cyles with only 2 W timers set for different ON and OFF times. Switch to the different times by usien external input switches, or by using a counter and internal relay bits to switch duty cycles after a certain cycle count.

Also, your can manually change the ZEN timer and counter settings while running if the "Monitor" parameter for the instruction (Timer or Counter) is enabled.

Last edited:
Here is a way to change your Number of Cycles using Pushbuttons. You may add different cycle numbers up to the number of Inputs you have available for Pushbutton switches to set different numbers (up to 16 for the P comparisons). This example does 3 different cycle numbers using Inputs I2, I3, and I4. In the Simulate mode, these 3 switches must be changed from "Momentary Open" to "Alternate Open Contact" to produce a maintained-contact switch.

I cleaned up your Display "D" relays to make a better-organized display for the program. There is a Q0 address in your program that appears to do nothing and can probably be deleted.

Thanks to all!

Thanks to all for theinput. When switching from one set of duty cycles to another, it has to count up to the 1st point, then switch over to the other values without operator input.

The Q0 out is relay contact that is used to cycle a power supply. The main thing that I've gotten out of this project is that I probably need a different PLC than the Zen. It sounds like it has limitations, and there are other more powerful PLC's available.

Thanks!

When switching from one set of duty cycles to another, it has to count up to the 1st point, then switch over to the other values without operator input.
I can't see any way to do that using the ZEN (basically a smart relay). If you had an Automation Direct CLICK, or a MicroLogix, or any one of a hundred other brands of small low-cost PLCs, then it would be easy.

What are these other cycles, how many, and what triggers each one to start? Perhaps knowing that, there might be a way to use the ZEN.

Last edited:
It's something like this. Cycle 100 cycles at a 30/70 duty cyle, then 800 cycles at a 50/50 duty cycle, then cycle at a 70/30 duty cycle for 100 cycles.

I think that I'll start looking at other PLC's. I'm not sure how I ended up buying a Zen, but time to look at all of my options.

Thanks to all!

With only 3 sets of different cycle times and cycle counts, it would be possible to use the ZEN (I think!) and simply use 2 timers and 1 counter for each of the 3 cycles, with the first triggering the 2nd, and the 2nd triggering the 3rd. I will try it that way and see what I get.

What does 30/70 mean for you? Would that be 3 seconds ON, 7 seconds OFF, or what?

The only problem I see right now is that the front-panel display will not have enough capability to show 3 sets of cycles (unless you leave off everything else (DWR number, date, time).

Last edited:
Here is Revision 1 that uses M1, M2, and M3 Step relays to step through 3 different cycles. You can set the 2 timers and 1 counter for each step as desired, then RUN it and it will run until all 3 cycles are completed. At least it runs in the ZEN Simulate mode.