Panelview slow to communicate on startup

BlueAltezza

Hey all,
I'm setting up a system with a PV 1000, L43 processor, and a Stratix 5700 Switch.

The problem I have is upon startup - the PV takes a very long time to communicate with the processor, I'd say a few minutes. Once it does, it operates normally with no lag or comms losses.

I've done multiple PV's with Micro, Compact, and Control platforms without seeing this issue. This is, however the first time I've used the Stratix switch. I poked around the Stratix setup, but didn't see anything that could help startup times. (This PV application has about 40 displays and 180 alarm messages if that is a factor)

Is this the nature of the switch?
If so, is there a way to have a display appear on the PV for a set amount of time so that the operators don't freak out when they see the status messages appear? (This is their 5th system from me, but the 1st with this particular setup - we all know how operators react to change!)

thanks!

Hi

I have never seen that before. I would start with trying a standard hub first just as it's a easy try. Then if this does not work if they have a spare Pv I wood try that.

Donnchadh

I monitored the 5700 upon startup today, and it's the component that takes so long to boot.

I powered it up off of a different power supply, waited 1 minute or so, then turned on the machine. Started up beautifully.
I'll get in touch with my AB rep to see if there's anything I can do about the switch.

I've noticed there is a long initial connection time on the Stratix 8000 switch too. About a minute or longer.

I wouldn't think it would be that big of a deal unless you're always removing power.

I find Stratix switches very reliable but agree they take along time to connect, normally long enough for me to worry that it isn't going to work......... I'll have to time in next time as I am not sure how long it takes.

Cheers

I installed a simliar setup with a stratix5700. I just takes a long time to boot. Not sure if there is anything you can do about it.

This is a common issue with managed switches. They all do an amount of self-testing, etc. on power-up, some are faster than others. Even a bog-standard NetGear 8-port switch (unmanaged) takes about 10 to 20 seconds to get itself going again.

If it is an issue that must be resolved, you could put a UPS on the switch, costly, but do-able.

Factory talk View Studio Version 6.10 to 7.0
I have created my projects in Factory Talk View Studio ver 6.10

I want to download Factory Talk view Studio Version 7.0

After installing factory Talk view Studio 7.0 , Can I open all of my projects created in ver 6.10. in version 7.0 ??

Do I need to Convert it to 7.0 or don't need to touch

Thanks guys

You can shave a number of seconds off the boot time by following this:

Connect to the web page --> Help --> Support --> Show Information Commonly Needed by Field Service --> Configure --> type: boot fast (hit enter; you should see command complete)--> type: do wr (hit enter; you should see building configuration...OK)

Also be sure that you have a smartport assigned to the port. By default a port without a smartport assignment will go through the Spanning-Tree algorithm and increase the time to communication. Smartports apply a command that removes this algorithm running on the specific port.

You can shave a number of seconds off the boot time by following this:

Connect to the web page --> Help --> Support --> Show Information Commonly Needed by Field Service --> Configure --> type: boot fast (hit enter; you should see command complete)--> type: do wr (hit enter; you should see building configuration...OK)

Also be sure that you have a smartport assigned to the port. By default a port without a smartport assignment will go through the Spanning-Tree algorithm and increase the time to communication. Smartports apply a command that removes this algorithm running on the specific port.

I'll take a look at that this afternoon, thanks fellow Clevelander!

If you're accessing the switch from IOS instead of the Rockwell Gui, you can enter config mode "config t" and then issue an int range command "int range Fa0/1-X" where x is the last non uplink port. Then do "spanning-tree portfast", "end", "write"

If you're accessing the switch from IOS instead of the Rockwell Gui, you can enter config mode "config t" and then issue an int range command "int range Fa0/1-X" where x is the last non uplink port. Then do "spanning-tree portfast", "end", "write"
The smartports apply portfast for automation devices by default