wonder ware smart symbols

RY_Guthrie

I am trying to edit a wonder ware 2012 smart symbol but I am stumped, when I break the cell and then double click the parameter I want to edit in the expression box where you find the tag name I get an A:tag_name the A: is throwing me off, is this just something you add to the tag to let it know its in a smart symbol? Or is it some kind of i/o reference? The tag exists in the tag name dictionary but when I double click in the expression box it does not take me to that tag, it just takes me to the tag name dictionary. Can I just substitute another tag in place of that tag and if so do i need to add that A: or will it automatically be added. I have read most of the manuals on tags and smart symbols and I am not seeing that A: referenced anywhere. Would really appreciate a hint please!!

It sounds like a place holder. Was this screen imported from another application? If so, wonderware uses a place holder for all tags unless you unchecked the box the do so. Try selecting the entire symbol then press ctrl + e. Then covert -- local. That will covert a placeholder tag to the actual tag if it exists.