PLC Basics - Help Needed

Lynzie

Hello there. I just joined the website. We are doing an Automation Technology course. This is the first time my university (UWI Barbados) is offering it, so there aren't any projects to look back at. I need to know if I am simulating an application (eg.: Solar Power Monitoring), do I have to use a PLC (Allen-Bradley) along with Crimson 3.0, or can I simulate a PLC within Crimson itself?? In other words, does Red Lion Crimson have its own sample PLCs? And if I HAVE to download RS Logix etc, am I coding in RS Logix only or in RSLogix and Crimson too?? Total newbie here lol. Thanks to anyone who answers!

Crimson is the software you will use to create applications that run on Red Lion products. RSLogix is the software you will use to create applications that run on Allen Bradley PLCs. Your choice of hardware dictates the software you need.

Ok thanks. i just got confused because i saw a video of Crimson 3.0 importing a file (L5k or something like that) from RS Logix and using it. How does that work.

To clarify, Red Lion Crimson 3.0 is for HMI (Human-Machine Interface) products.

It can also work to save and load parameters for some of their other small and relatively simple purpose built controllers.

For the most part, think of Crimson as being used for graphic touchscreen programming, which is separate from the PLC which directly controls the machinery devices.