ETH or ETHIP driver

TheWaterboy

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Under what conditions would I chose which of these drivers? Ethernet Devices or Ethernet/IP. At one time I though Ethernet Devices was just "older" so Ethernet/IP would be "better". Not sore anymore that is accurate.

Currently I use only Ethernet/IP in RSLinx and all I use it for is programming. My SCADA system used Kepware and OPC. ALL my connections are to A/B equipment.

Opinions?

I typically use the Ethernet devices driver, and set up one for each unique network that I connect to so I can start and run it again the next time I connect to that network. This is handy for me since I connect to different networks all the time.

The only reason I use the EtherNet/IP driver is when I don't know what is on the network or the addresses of the items because it will show me whatever it finds out there.

That's just my preference, because I know some people who solely use the IP driver.

I'm also curious how others use these.

ETHIP will scan you network and return the nodes on that network.

ETH you must manually enter the IP address of the devices on the network.

ETHIP works well if you are connected directly to the network, not so much if you are going through VPN or other means to get to the network.

ETH works well if you can't connect directly to the network, but you are going through a VPN.

Hi

I mostly use the ip driver as I find it very handy. I sometimes have to use the eth as I find some of the slc will not show up I think it's down to firmware.

Donnchadh

User the ETH driver, and save yourself hassles as your IT department monkeys with things they shouldn't touch.

ETHIP is fantastic for local things on the exact network your PC is on, but it doesn't bridge network segments, whereas ETH will.
ETH also has the advantage of not trying to scan everything on the wire.