Compactlogix and Modbus TCP

dginbuffalo

Hello all,

I'm wondering who's done Modbus TCP right out of the Ethernet port on a Compactlogix? Was it a pain? I downloaded their sample code and what a bloody mess! I usually just use a Red Lion G series operator interface and set up a gateway block to move data between the 2 systems. Drag and drop-pretty simple. I wanted to use a high bright AB Panelview on this job since it's outside and that would mean no Red Lion to do the data transfer. Suggestions or opinions?

Get a Red Lion DataStation Plus or another networked converter.

The A-B Sample Code works, but it's complex enough and there's no good troubleshooting tools, so I would stick with a more rugged interface if it's at all possible.

Hi

I would stay well away if I was you it's a pain in the a##.
I would go with the red lion like ken said or a Anybus module or
I think prosoft do a card. It may same a bit on the price side but they work and the time you will save alone will pay it back

Donnchadh

Thanks for all the replies. I may just stick a Red Lion Data Station Plus in the panel. It's cheaper and easier than the Anybus in my opinion. I would go with the RL G series outdoor display but it only comes in 10" and I'm looking for a 12.5" or 15". decisions, decisions...

Out of interest, anyone know why AB haven't added a canned MB TCP instruction?? Is it a political / technical thing??

Would have thought it would get plenty of use...

Well... if their people are listening- they've lost plenty of my work because of that fact.

And having to pay for support, upgrades, lame website, etc.... :)

There are two reasons that Rockwell Automation has limited Modbus protocol support.

The first is their longstanding partnership with ProSoft Technology, which probably includes some agreements on which features RA is going to implement onboard and which will be done with ProSoft modules.

And the second is a equally longstanding distrust of Group Schneider and their use of bogus patent litigation as a business tactic.

The fact that Schneider joined the ODVA as a principal member and that there are Modbus objects in the CIP specification doesn't make me trust them any more than I did before.

If you've ever used OPC, neither should you.

What did you think on the setup? I watched a YouTube video of setting up the Prosoft and it didn't look too user friendly. I suppose I should try it sometime. The RL Data Station LE was still cheaper (60%) and since I've used them, appear easier to set up.

Nothing beats the ease-of-use of the DataStation Plus, that's true.

ProSoft modules take some getting used to, but they are very similar across the product line and very reliable.

I used to actually teach a class on the MVI56-MCM module for my local water utility, who used them by the truckload.