need help guys rio problem

dabbott78

Alright guys im fairly new to the plc world but here is what I got one of our RIO 1747 ASB has been down for service now we are ready to power it up and I need to know how or where to get info on what the dip switches should be set at? I have read through most of the manual. Im trying to figure the logical address and the image size this is what is hanging me up. I have powered it up and I get a PAC fault. Any Ideas would be great. I have access to a pdf of the program on the main plc but I am waiting on my laptop to have rslogics loaded on it.

Last edited:
installing new card

We are in installing a new 1747ASB the original one was used in a different RIO cabinet and no info was left for me as for what the settings was. The rack has 13 slots in it. I can get more info if needed. Thanks for the help. I could also use I little help understanding what exactly does the partial RIO communications mean? I apologize ahead of time if this is a dumb question.

I should note this too

I have looked at the other RIO cabinets and got some info from them but the dip switches are not all set the same I have only kinda guessed what the settings would be. So I am unsure if im even close to what the settings should be.
Thanks again

If you can post the modules that are installed and the dip switch setting
it help the remote I/O gurus help you.

Have you added the modules to the I/O configuration for your remote rack?

no new modules they been installed for years

Here is what the rack has installed
1746 NI8 x 2
1746 NO4I x 2
1746 IB16 x 6
1746 OB16 x 2
SW1 = 11111110
SW2 = 01011011
SW3 = 01011001
the system was working great until the ASB was moved to another rack and of couse nobody
took any notes on what the dip switches was set to.

I'm no expert with this but sense its not working now try these.

SW1 11111111
SW2 11111010 Check baud rate of scanner. this is set to 57.7k
SW3 01011000

i will give it a shot

Thanks for the help I will give it a try. But I am fairly confident the baud rate I had right. But im still new to this. I have all of the other ASB dip switch settings from all of the other RIO panels. This particular unit is in RIO3 of 5 if this helps. I truely thank you for all the help.

Alright guys im fairly new to the plc world but here is what I got one of our RIO 1747 ASB has been down for service now we are ready to power it up and I need to know how or where to get info on what the dip switches should be set at? I have read through most of the manual. Im trying to figure the logical address and the image size this is what is hanging me up. I have powered it up and I get a PAC fault. Any Ideas would be great. I have access to a pdf of the program on the main plc but I am waiting on my laptop to have rslogics loaded on it.

You do understand that you can't just move a Remote IO chassis to a different processor without changing that processor's IO configuration to match the hardware that you're adding? I'm pretty sure the PAC fault is due to a configuration mismatch.

Thanks for the help I will give it a try. But I am fairly confident the baud rate I had right. But im still new to this. I have all of the other ASB dip switch settings from all of the other RIO panels. This particular unit is in RIO3 of 5 if this helps. I truely thank you for all the help.

If there are more then one remote I/O rack then my dip switch settings are not going to work.

You will have to find out what the others (1747-ABS) are set for.

Last edited:
the card wss moved and the dip switches were set.

The dip switches were set to the particular rio cabinet. But the settings were not recorded for the original rio cabinet. Now we are bringing the original cabinet back online. I do have all of the other dip switch settings.

Your offline program will help determine the addressing of the rack in question.

I/O configuration, scanner configuration, racks installed.