Rockwell Automation, Allen Bradley, PLC's

ebolbol

Hello to all senior members. I've been a member since 2011 so I'm fairly new. I need help in how to help!

This forum has been great help to me. Thanks to all you techs who don't mind passing down knowledge. I may not be at your levels (some of you), but I'm no slouch in this field and I want to give back to the forum.

My question is how? How do you find questions to answer out of the thousands of threads? Do you just randomly scan through threads? Do you do refined searches for topics? Is there a way to setup your profile to get hits? I have a lot to offer in the following areas:

• Any Rockwell Automation Software
  • ControlLogix & CompactLogix controllers
  • RSLogix Development
  • Modbus Communications & ProSoft Products
  • RS Network Communications
  • FactoryTalk View ME, SE Development
  • PowerFlex Drives
  • Programming, Troubleshooting, Development
The list goes on. Pretty much mainly Rockwell A-B Stuff.
How do I help people in these areas?

I check back on the forum at least once a day. I scan through the highlighted (new or changed since last visit) thread titles for items possibly in my areas of interest. The site does not automatically classify the threads so can't automatically notify you concerning new threads on certain topics.

If a thread hasn't changed for a few days then the original poster possibly had their question answered or they gave up.

To find older threads of interest you can use the 'search' functions and your choice of terms. But don't add to threads which were started long ago or inactive. It tends to confuse matters. If you believe you have good information that wasn't brought up in an earlier thread then start your own and post a link to the earlier thread.

If there is a new thread of great interest you can mark it so that emails are sent to you on any change.

I usually check the forum several times a day, quickly scanning down through the new (bold) threads looking for topics that interest me.

The search is a great tool if you're trying to find a solution to a problem, but I wouldn't recommend it as a way to find posts where you can assert your knowledge. Most of the results will be old, and it's generally not popular to resurrect old threads.

Stick to the active threads and you'll be fine. (y)

How do you find questions to answer out of the thousands of threads?
Some of us have been here from the beginning, so we read the threads as they happened, and answered the ones where we could contribute something.
Do you just randomly scan through threads?
Sometimes.

Also, if I have not been here for 2 weeks or so, I often do a "Advanced Search" ("Search" button, then "Advanced Search"), then click on "Find Threads with", select "At Most 0 Replies" and "Find Posts from" then select "2 weeks ago" and Newer. That gets all the posts in the past 2 weeks THAT HAVE NO ANSWER. If I can help any of these not-answered posts, I give it a shot. That would be a good place for you to start, because those people will appreciate any answer.
Do you do refined searches for topics?
Yes, use the Advanced Search options, or do a Google search. Usually Google returns more items than you want.
Is there a way to setup your profile to get hits?
No, but for each post you "suscribe" to, you will get an E-mail when there is a response. After a few months here, your E-mail box will be overflowing.
I have a lot to offer in the following areas:
Please don't tell us, but instead show us with your performance. We will each be able to tell what you know and how much of it. Also as your reputation grows, you will start to get Private Messages from desperate souls with difficult problems.

Last edited:
Also as your reputation grows, you will start to get Private Messages from desperate souls with difficult problems.

My reputation must be getting bad... I once would get one to two a week, but now I have not received any in the past few months... Maybe they just dont like my answers, but I do get a few phone calls a day now :)

I also check in a few times a day to see if there is anything that I can help or give my 2 cents

Genius, Your Avatar looks like he knows what he's doing!

Great looking Pup you have there.

OP, you can click the arrow by replies to sort that helps finding post with no response.

Hi

I would check more now than I used to as I use my so called smart phone to check in about once a day or so.

Donnchadh