Automation Direct DSData interface

tommy23t

Hi All.
I am in the process of tying an Automation Direct D2-260 to a pc thru the ethernet card. All works well, but the customer requested a timestamp to react to a press on the touchscreen on certain processes. The DSData comes with a datalogger which does this, but it seems to me very "bulky" for an "at-a-glance" check by the supervisor. We have a very basic VB routine to report status which works well but I don't know how to integrate the two. Customer service was not sure how to do this, so I'm wondering if anyone here has had a similar need and can point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,
tommy23t

From your description, it sounds to me like you are trying to use DSData for the timestamp. Why not use the PLC? When the operator touches the button, store the current time/date (V7766 thru V7774) in a few V-memory locations. Then use your VB routine to read these values... :confused:

Or maybe I misunderstood?... :unsure:

beerchug

-Eric

P.S. How do you like the ECOM module? I'm anxious to try one!... :D

Eric:
well, all I can say is "guilty" šŸ™ƒ of over complicating this. That is a great idea, humble thanks.

The ecom module worked right out of the box, about 2 minutes max to get everything working. This was my first application, also. Will install in the field in about a week, I'll know better after it runs a while.

Thanks again

Tom

Tom,
I've also been using DSData, accessing it with an Excel spreadsheet. In the beginning I was doing a log entry every so many minutes. That began to make no sense to me so I've played around with some other macros that would make a log entry everytime the data in a certain cell changed. I get my current date/time with the now() function in the macro. I think that I have copy of my original spreadsheet(the one based on time) here at home if you like to play with it. You could use your screen button to write a value to a hidden cell that would enter the time stamp. Shouldn't be too hard to change it around some to meet your needs. Let me know if you want it.

Dale

Last edited:
tommy23t said:
Eric:
well, all I can say is "guilty" šŸ™ƒ of over complicating this. That is a great idea, humble thanks.

And thank YOU for the review of the ECOM module. I plan to include one in my next A-D order so I can play with one myself... :nodi:

beerchug

-Eric

I love using the ECOM for downloading to the PLC. After the initial download, all future updates only take about 20-30 seconds (I do everything using runtime editing). It is also nice to see the changes occur faster in data views.

I just recently set it up to allow me to program over the network. I have a wireless connection on my laptop and hardwire the PLC. It works great.

I've started to include an open slot in my racks just to let me slip in an ECOM for trouble shooting use...I agree with Icky812, the ECOM sure saves time!!!
David