Please Gurus Help

Mark Buskell

I been commissioned to do this project. I have a 480v in a nearby panel and I need to get 24vdc from it to power some 24v input modules. I am not an idiot and know I cannot hook to it directly. I read up on Omen's law and voltage drops. Can I just take a couple of strands off 2 of the legs and get my 24. My math worked out fine according to this Omen's law.

What is extremely sad, is that lately, this is exactly the kind of question I see posted here. It scares the **** out of me to think of some of these people playing with electricity.

Mark,

First of all, its Ohm's Law, not Omen's Law. Secondly, you can't just take a piece of your 480VAC & get 24VDC. You need a 24VDC power supply. Most power supplies operate from 120VAC. Do you have a 120VAC outlet available?

If you try to connect to the 480VAC directly, you may get badly hurt!

Can I just take a couple of strands off 2 of the legs and get my 24.
NO. NO. NO. Every strand of a wire that is at 480V is at 480V, voltage cannot be divided or reduced this way. Each strand carries a certain amount of current, but all have the same potential(voltage). Someone trying this is sure to blow up something, if not kill themselves.

What a joke. I know I have asked some newby questions before but WOW! Somebody actually lets this guy work in thier facility?
I would never look down on somebody learning and looking for advice but it is clear this person is not a journeyperson and should not be working alone at anything.

I been commissioned to do this project.

First problem... someone hired you

I have a 480v in a nearby panel and I need to get 24vdc from it to power some 24v input modules..

Second problem, your inputs are 24v DC... you will need to install a rectifier also, you can not use AC inputs

I am not an idiot and know I cannot hook to it directly.

hmmmm lets leave this one alone for now

I read up on Omen's law and voltage drops. Can I just take a couple of strands off 2 of the legs and get my 24. My math worked out fine according to this Omen's law.

I dont believe in any Omens... you may need to see a preacher and have an exorcist