RSLinx Not seeing devices

I have lately been struggling with communication with PLC's over ethernet out in the field.

This is a new problem, my laptop had not problems until recently. I've installed loads programs and messed around, I've come back to a plant that runs AB rockwell, and what would you know? I cannot communicate online.

I can ping the devices from the cmd prompt but Linx will not see them.

I unistalled and reinstalled but still the same.

Edit I have now got comms. by using the "Ethernet Devices AB_ENT-1" driver and putting in the ip address of the card i want to communicate with, but the normal it AB_ETHIP-1 just will not browse the whole network.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Do you have a firewall running on your pc? If so try disabling it. Failing that you could try deleting your harmony files for RSLinx and then restarting. The procedure for that is as follows:

1. Close all software including RSLinx Classic. If RSLinx is "running as a service" disable it.

2. Then, go to Windows Explorer and , refer to the computer's hard drive ( for example C drive) where RSLinx Classic is installed.

3. Next, click on the + sign next to the Program files folder, click on + sign next the Rockwell software folder and, then, double click on the RSCOMMON folder. In the RSCOMMON folder two Harmony files ( Harmony.hrc and, Harmony.rsh ) should be displayed. One of the Harmony files may be displayed as Harmony this is okay.
4. Delete each Harmony file ( Harmony.hrc, Harmony.rsh or Harmony) individually. DO NOT Delete HRMYUI.DLL
5. Restart Rslinx ( Reboot the PC if necessary)

Hi Beethoven_II

I removed the Harmony.* Files In C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSCommon.

Restarted and no Ode's to Joy. Rebooted and new Harmony files were created to replace those I removed. :(

Off the top of my head....

How does the IP address of your laptop compare to those of the devices?

Does RSLinx see the devices as what they are, or are they yellow question marks?

Can you access the PLCs using another terminal to compare?

No Ode to Joy must've been very disappointing for you :)
What about the firewall, do you have one running on your laptop?
Also, what operating system are you using? I know Windows 7 can do strange things sometimes by asking you if the network you are connected to is a Public, Home or Work network and then assigns a profile which can restrict access to and from your machine.

Open RSLinx, got to Communications/Configure drivers and double click AB_ETHIP-1 and make sure it's using the correct network adapter. You probably have more than 1 on your laptop.

As you can see. Linx will on browse. I have to manually type in the address of each device to access.

http://imgur.com/XAjmOhw

XAjmOhw

I've tried all the above have suggested... anymore ideas?

If you have to change the subnet mask of the Ethernet modules to the same mask as your pc remember to cycle the power to them after changing the settings. Are the devices connected through a managed switch at all? I believe the AB Ethernet Devices driver uses a different port number (2222) than the Ethernet/IP driver (44818) for TCP comms and this could possibly be your issue.

Did you say you were having similar issues at other plants? If so I would try reinstalling your network adapter. Remove it and reboot, windows should install it again for you on restart.