Siemens PLC through TCP to Zebra Printer

JDCROCKETT724

I have a siemens 315 PLC and I am have to send a string of data to a zebra 105sl plus barcode printer. I have either serial or Ethernet TCP connections to do this on the printer. I think I can chug through getting a serial interface card, but I am now wondering if TCP may be the route to go. If I go with TCP then I don't need to order the serial card and route a serial cable to the printer. The problem that I have is that TCP is a big mystery to me at this point. Have any of you done this before? What are your thoughts? o_O

Thanks

I've done this usina a TCP connection. Siemens has some function blocks available you can get to do this. TCON, TSND, TRCV, TDSCON (Connect, Send, Recieve, & Disconnect).

Do I have to put the Zebra Printer into NetPro in order to setup my TCP comms to it? If so how do I go about doing so? Does anyone have sample code of this application?

No you don't need the printer setup in NetPro unless you are going through the CP343. I may have a sample code example I could strip and get for you. Will have to find it first, been several years

I'm trying to use TCON, TSND, TRCV, TDSCON to communicate to the printer. I am getting stuck on TCON. The ID is looking for a hex number for the connection. How do I setup a connection number to the IP address of the printer?

Capture1.JPG Capture.JPG

I think for a remote connection you just need to have a unique ID number. However on the TCON block you need to feed in the parameters to the connect In/Out... UDT 65 or something.

I believe I found where I put in the IP address. Now the status code is 7002 which means "Follow-on call (REQ irrelevant), connection being established", but it is stuck here. I can stop it by stopping the PLC and doing a warm restart. What is the port number you used to connect to the Zebra?

I'm assuming the setup is as follows: the Zebra printer is setup as the TCP server and in listen mode for a connection from the client. The PLC is setup as the client. Maybe try a different port on the Zebra... Not sure what has to be configured on the zebra end. Can you connect to the terminal using hyper terminal or putty? I think you can change the port from the web server page. G/L