RX3i variable editing

NetNathan

Lifetime Supporting Member
In Machine Edition, I want to do some extensive renaming of the variable descriptions in an RX3i application.
I did a variable export and edited the variable descriptions.
Now comes the problem.... When I do the import, all I get are the variables with no descriptions at all??
What am I doing wrong??

I would really like to completely delete the existing variables and descriptions (I have several that are not used) and import the new variables with edited descriptions. It used to be very easy to do this in LM90, but I seem to only be able to delete unused variables in Machine Edition.

In Machine Edition, I want to do some extensive renaming of the variable descriptions in an RX3i application.
I did a variable export and edited the variable descriptions.
Now comes the problem.... When I do the import, all I get are the variables with no descriptions at all??
What am I doing wrong??

I would really like to completely delete the existing variables and descriptions (I have several that are not used) and import the new variables with edited descriptions. It used to be very easy to do this in LM90, but I seem to only be able to delete unused variables in Machine Edition.
Tell us "Exactly" what you are doing and maybe someone will be able to see what you are doing wrong.

What you describe that you want to do is simple using Excel.
What I suggest is to:
1. "Export" into '.csv'
2. Edit the Descriptions "ONLY"
3. "Import" using properties that will over-write existing variables with the same name.

You are correct in that you cannot delete variable that are being used.

If you are using Addresses it is easy to change the 'Name' in Excel then "Import" based on address instead of 'Name'.

Be sure to keep a backup in case you misinterpret something. :)

More Information would be Helpful. Are you Exporting Variables in CSV format Editing them in Excel and then importing them back into your Proficy. Remember when Importing You want to check Overwrite existing Variable Properties

Well...interesting enough. It worked today.

Yes, I was exporting the variables as a CSV, opening the file in Excel, then editing the descriptions and saving the csv. Then I went back to ME and imported the edited file.

Sorry for not being exact in not adding I was editing the exported file in Excel.
I edit csv files (Variable tables and Wonderware database dumps) so much in Excel I figured it was understood by all. Using Excel for working with csv files is the easiest and most common way by far.

Gotcha...

And I have too many hours answering questions I "thought" were being asked, only to find out later that the actual question was out in left field or beyond. :)

...and I rarely look at who is asking the question unless I have seen the same one elsewhere.

Last edited: