OT - supporting the new customers

daba

Lifetime Supporting Member
Over the last couple of days I have had the misfortune to struggle to install some XXYZXZZ software.

I read that this software will run in demo/evaluation/trial mode for a period of time, and I was going to use that time to check it out.

When I ran into installation problems, I contacted the support desk, and was told that unless I had purchased the software, they couldn't help.

Isn't that exactly the time that a support desk should be giving their attentions to, nurturing possible future purchases of the package, or have the bean counters stepped in and said "if they aint payin', get off the phone"

This reminds me of a common Chinese proverb:

Yang mao chu zai yang sheng shang : Sheep's wool comes off the sheep's back

Someone got to pay the person on the phone for support and they really can't tell if you are a freeloader or someone just trying out the software. My recommendation is to go through the sales side and get a referral to someone who can help you.

Also, you can ask your question here.

That must be frustrating. I'm very thankful for trial software and having the ability to preview it, and I agree with you. That is the time to pay attention to help get the sale. But maybe it is better to go through the sales department, they typically will go our of their way to get you what you need.

I'm having a great experience with "trial" software at the moment, their sales team has gotten all my questions answered and have brought in technical/engineering when needed. It has played a big role in my evaluation, and it's playing a big role in my push to use their software within our organization.

...... have the bean counters stepped in and said "if they aint payin', get off the phone"

Forget the Mid-East terrorists and Putin - we will destroy ourselves from within by letting MBA's dictate business policy. Most of these bright young fellers have never had a real job - they truly believe the "numbers" is what a business is all about.

I would uninstall the product and not use it ever again unless of course there was some serious $$$ involved for my wallet :)

As someone else said chase the sales dept and say you wont buy it unless you can evaluate it.. they will help you

Kepware gained a great reputation by helping people figure out how their OPC server worked, and they allow a 2 hour run time until it has to be restarted. It certainly sold lots of licenses.

I would talk to a supervisor or customer service, and tell them that apparently tech support isn't interested in you buying the software.

I had the opposite experience this week. A client was having problems with their plant engineering workstation. As I was attempting to diagnose the problem, the computer experienced it's final attempt to reboot. The client had no installation media for their Modicon programming software available on-site. I contacted Schneider Electric, downloaded the software that I needed and installed it on one of the plant's spare computers. I am running it on a 14 day trial period until I obtain the client's support contract number from their corporate office and license the software next Monday.

when I can, I always try to support companies with an open policy. Companies like Inductive automation, kepware, red lion, that go out of their way to support their product and make it freely available for trial. IMHO there is nothing worse than having to fill out your life story to gain access to literature, or even worse, pay for it. hopefully people will continue to send their money to companies that operate openly, which will others to either change their business model or get lost in the new way of business.

If it is codesys i can help, otherwise give your problem here exactly, and this xyz company will get the hunge to have some support.

To deviate a little bit from the topic..

How frustrating is it that support often knows jack or doesn't bother to even reply to emails?

Forums like this and the Siemens forum are 100 times more valuable to me than product support. Actual users are usually way better at a product than support.

Hi

I understand what you are saying about support but there is no such thing as free in this world expect for the help you will get here. So I would also say its best to post your problem here and someone would have seen it here.

Donnchadh

To deviate a little bit from the topic..

How frustrating is it that support often knows jack or doesn't bother to even reply to emails?

Forums like this and the Siemens forum are 100 times more valuable to me than product support. Actual users are usually way better at a product than support.

I suspect that it is only those of us who have been in the business for several decades who notice how badly the general level of support has diminished. Nothing frustrates me more than encountering a bug in a piece of equipment or software and calling tech support only to have a wet behind the ears kid begin to read the user manual to me over the phone.