Uploading from a Panelview plus

jtashaffer

How do you upload from a Panelview plus? Then when I get the .mer file how do I convert it to a .apa file that I can make changes to them? Also can I upload the file while the machine is running? Any ideas would help. I have muliple screens to do. 700's and 1000,s

Last edited:
To upload, you can use ME Transfer Utility, it is straight forward when you open it. Navigate RSLinx Enterprise to the Panelview and choose the .MER to upload. Alternatively, stick a USB in the PanelView and copy to USB.

Once you have the .MER use the Application Manager and select Restore runtime application. It will create the .MED for you so you can open the project in FactoryTalk View.

Last edited:
Yes. If you use the ME Transfer Utility it will not affect anything. The USB method would require you to shut down the current program running on the Panelview.

Last edited:
When you do make your change you will be required to shut down the current program and load the new application from the menu screen, after downloading it back to the Panelview using ME transfer Utility or a USB stick.

Hi

Be careful as you cannot restore a .mer file before ver 5 but you can store it for backup and download it if needed. You will also lose the user manes and passwords so either best to know them for each screen or if you can restore the file you can create new ones. Also you may have to set up or reset the path to the plc

Donnchadh

It is possible to restore an .mer file older than version 5 but it isn't straight forward and the program is not designed to allow it. I found a back door method which I have used previously and it allowed me to recover 4 projects from live screens that an engineer who had left the company did without leaving behind the project files.

You can run the .mer if you have a runtime license or the appropriate version of RSView on your pc/laptop.

Hi Beethoven

Maybe you could share this please as I have a few older .mer files that I like to open

Donnchadh

How to open older *.Mer files

It's a few years since I last used this but it worked. I believe the only thing that wasn't fully recovered were the alarm messages but I think that was down to the age of the screen. I did manage to get them from an alarm file in the project though which I opened in Notepad and just copied and pasted them back into the project one by one.