pulse flowmeter to slc 500

alreqraq

Hi everyone,
Thank you for this useful forums,

I have a question, I have just started working on AB plc
and im not that familiar with it.
So I have a flow meter which produces pulses of which frequency increase or decrease depending on the flow.
I'm trying to connect to slc 500 to be able to read the flow out of it. I learned from previous posts that I need to find the period (or the time between each pulse rising edge).
But im unable to build my ladder as im not familiar with AB neither pulses frequency.

So may I get help please?
Thank you

Thank you for replies,

"Hi - welcome to the forum. Do you want the flow rate or the quantity of flow?
Cheers"

Im looking for the flowrate, im already measuring it in L/m by a rotameter, but im trying to take the reading by the sensor to the plc and display on HMI.

"What is the maximum frequency of the meter?? Will determine if can be done in ladder with a standard input or not.."

This the specifications of my flowsensor, however we're not going for max flow

SYueneM

By the way I have SLC 500 with DI, DO, AI, and AO

Thank you for your responses, looking forward for your help

You are probably going to move into scan time issues using a a standard DI... You could do it with a HSC card, but on paddle style meter with high(ish) speed output, usually connect to a pulse divider box and take it in at a more sedate pace, or a F/I convertor and take in as an analogue..

Depending on how much flow and what the input specs are on your DI cards are + what scan time is, you may be able to connevct directly and get reasonable numbers by just counting the pulses per say 5 sec period, and apply to slope...

Thank you for your reply

I currently have no HSC so I think ill try F/I ic circuit and see how it goes.

Thank you very much