Import CSV into Rslogix Micro Starter Lite

mitureg

Hi Everybody! I just got my first offshore commissioning job for Allen-Bradley systems!

I would like to know if anyone knows how to import a comma separated value file (.CSV) containing all I/O's, system bits and so forth in Rslogix Micro Starter Lite?

(file attached_)

If impossible, what would be your recommendation for testing the program before getting on-board the ship?

Any comments about the file attached is also most welcomed.

Best regards,
Alex.

Here is an article at MrPLC.com, about how to import symbols and descriptions from an Excel spreadsheet to RSLogix500, using "ASCII Import".
http://www.mrplc.com/kb/index.php?article=22

Here are two other links that might be useful:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=55143&highlight=import+Excel+RSLogix500+program

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=75820&highlight=Import+RSLogix+symbols+spreadsheet

Here is a RSLogix500 blank program, but with your database imported into it. You could use this (if you cannot import it from Excel yourself) to import from into your actual PLC program file.

Last edited:
Hi Lancie, thank you for the DB information. I can't seem to find a way to import any of the project document files.

I just got the .csv file that I posted already and some .gdf files that I can't seem to view anywhere.

Here is an example in attachment.

Would you have any suggestions?

Regards,
Alex

I can't seem to find a way to import any of the project document files.
I used RSLogix500, "Tools, Database, ASCII Import", then select "CSV". If you Import from the blank file in Post #2, then you can use "Tools, Database, Native Import".

Last edited:
Hi Lancie, I got you for the Database import.

The only problem I had was that somehow the .RSS program file wasn't in the package I got at first.

I've emailed the company that provided me the package and now I've got 2 .RSS program files that can't be opened with RsLogix Micro. They seem to be of a RsLogix 500 SLC Project File type.

Do you think of any solution?

Much appreciated,
Alex

Capture1.JPG

Attachments

• ProjectFiles1.zip
    301.9 KB · Views: 5
Do you think of any solution?
Yes, the files could be reconfigured from a SLC 5/05 Processor to a MicroLogix 1000 Processor (so that you can open them with your Micro software). I did that, but there is a problem. The original programs each have ladder Files 2 through 20. The Micro software will only allow you to view Files 2 through 16 (I think). Anyway, here are the reconfigured files (both in the one attached ZIP file). You should be able to view and edit most of them, but not the last 4 ladder files (which are in the ZIP file but will not be visible with RSLogix Micro). You really need to get a more advanced copy of RSLogix500 if you are going to work with this type of program. Even if this Micro version will work for you, it probably will not work in the SLC 5/05 processor that it was written for (because the last 4 files will be cut off when you load it with RSLogix Micro Starter).

PS: The last 4 files are "17 - TEMP", "18 - TGS", "19 - DRAFT", "20 - ALARM". Each of them have many rungs and very important-appearing computattions and MOV's. The last file appears to be about 140 alarm outputs-with-acknowledge for the project.

Last edited:
Hi Lancie, thank you for the file conversion and the information. The file reads fine in MicroLogix Lite.

What software version would you suggest to purchase for offline AB system program testing and troubleshooting and where to buy it?

I think my boss will want to appoint me more commissioning jobs if this one goes smoothly.

Much appreciated.

What software version would you suggest to purchase for offline AB system program testing and troubleshooting and where to buy it?
Here are the 6 curently available RSLogix software versions in this link. Probably the 9324-RL0300ENE Standard Edition would be the best for your use.
http://www.rockwellautomation.com/rockwellsoftware/design/rslogix500/orderinginfo.html

You can buy it through your nearest Rockwell Automation electrical distributor. See this link to find your local distributor:
http://www.rockwellautomation.com/rockwellautomation/distributor-locator/distributor-locator.page