Bristol to Allen-Bradley Comms

Ian762

Anyone have any code or suggestions as to how to get reliable comms between an Bristol Control Wave PLC and a ControlLogix series PLC?

I know this is nothing like what your after, but we have a PLC5 reading tags from a BBL 3335 CPU using a Basic module in the PLC5 chassis. I believe the software in the basic module is talking some kind of modbus to the BBL.

I have also seen that prosoft do a CLX card that emulates the CLX as a node on a BASP network. MVI56-BSAPS (Click for link). That should enable you to message as if the CLX was a BBL too. (Saying that i dont know anything about the controlwave platform)

I'm not familiar with Bristol, but Red Lion has drivers for them. You can use one of their HMI's or Data Station as a gateway between the two.

BSAP/Modbus

I have pushed my lists to a new Custom Function block and let the Allen Bradley PLC speak Modbus. For some of the MicroLogix (LRP), this is a pre-defined protocol but with ControlLogix, you will need to purchase a bridge. I would suggest a external Prosoft module. They have modules for Ethernet and serial and multi-port/protocol functionality.

The Red Lion is an option as well but their interface is terribly cumbersome and difficult to troubleshoot. I have gotten the BSAP communication to work but ended up using the Modbus gateway instead.