Grinder for sewage

Charbel

Dear,

Grinder at the inlet chamber for sewage will not be running all the time, it should be either connected to level switch or level transmitter. So i was wondering, ultrasonic is not very reliable in detecting the level sewage. So maybe i should be going with differential ultrasonic levels and connecting it to the grinder for its initiation.

what do u think about this arrangement? please find below the selected grinder:

http://www.franklinmiller.com/taskmaster-8500.html

thank you!

charbel

Ultrasonics are notoriously unreliable when an attempt is made to implement them in closed chambers, due to false echoes returning to the transducer. If you've already experienced problems with an ultrasonic level sensor, then perhaps you should consider a laser, radar or capacitive level probe instead.

Tom Jenkins has a Sticky posted at the very top. See that thread for more info. There are float switches made for the sewage control environment and work very well. The only thing I can add is to use two or three switches for backup, each physically set slightly higher than the first.

Good information but I would recommend setting the floats as close to equal as possible and OR-ing them in logic. With verification testing that all are transitioning at regular intervals. Anyway if spills there are as costly as they are here.

Interesting product, Tark - especially the 4-20 mA output. I've used electrode level detection in clean water and some wastewater, but I'd be a little concerned about rags shorting across electrodes upstream of a grinder. Of course, for the cost of an ultrasonic the original poster could buy one of each to try and still come out with money in his pocket!

We have had these probes in service for at least 10 years and I've never seen a rag get wrapped up on one, I've seen plenty of rags wrapped up on floats though.