Getting started with AB motion control

shoelesscraig

Hi guys. I've been programming a while now. Everything I've done so far though has been simple batch process control, simple machine control, etc. I'm beginning to prepare for a project where I will be doing machine control using 3 servo drives. The Plc will be Allen Bradley, probably compactlogix. The drives and motors will be AB as well.

Can someone point me in the right direction about what I can read to begin understanding motion control in Logix5000. I literally know nothing about servo control, how the instructions work for motion, etc. it is all foreign to me. I have a lot to learn. Any help you can offer would be great. Again, the client has specified AB, so I really need to learn from an Allen Bradley point of view. Thanks ahead of time!

AB motion control is probably the simplest servo control I have used yet. It does not need any second software package to do. I don't know of a general "So you decided you wanted to program a servo" document, but you could dig around the AB literature library on their website for info.

First you have to get the drive and servo configured in your controller organizer, and then get the drive error free. Once you do that it is just a matter of getting your instructions into your program. I am not sure what your servos would be doing but a good starting point would be to look at he help file in RSLogix on the instructions. They do a good job with the help files. I highlighted the ones I use all the time. The others may be necessary depending on what you want to do, but for basic positioning this is what I use.

Capture.JPG

I have just used a compact logix with 2 kinetix 350, to make a X/Y axis system.

It was fairly easy to do it.
You can get manuals by googling ab integrated motion.

When you have more specific questions, I can try to help you if you want

I've done a Kinetix300 before on a single axis. When you want to servo to move, you are basically giving it a target position (in my case it was degrees of rotation), an accel and decel time, and a velocity. The instructions built-in to Logix5000 handle this pretty well.