Cooler with high IP rating

rQx

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi!

I don't know where I should turn to with this question but since there are many people with experience with control cabinets I try and find an answer here.

We currently build control cabinets that sometimes is delivered to warm destinations, therefore we add a cooler to these above a specified temperature.

The cooler is a Rittal cooler and it has IP54 rating against the cabinet and IP34 on its own. We now have a customer who insist that there is coolers with higher IP rating (mostly the IP34 rating).

Because we are using air conditioning there must be air vents on the outside of the cooler making it IP34 and I can't see how other manufacturer can achieve that?
I have looked around on the internet and all I could find was diffrent manufaturers with IP54/IP34 solution.

Do anyone know a solution with higher IP rating?

I found one but it used compressed air to cool it and we want a cooling device that is supplied from our cabinet with electricity.

/Tim

Hoffman's thermo-electric coolers appear to be closed loop, so there is no outside air. Those still have a fan on the outside with an unknown rating.

or

You could move to flange mount drives and size the enclosures to dissipate the heat from the non-drive components through convection...

I would ask the customer what the thinking behind this is. Have they had issues or failures. You may be able to address their concerns by using a different air conditioner or applying it slightly differently, like adding a rain shield.

Lets face it, the AC condenser on the side of your house doesn't have a 4x rating and mine is warrantied for 10 years. The air conditioner on the enclosure should be fine for a long time. Especially considering how much they cost.

We have questioned their demand and asked them to specify what cooler they want to used that suit their demands. The cabinet will stand outside and they want a high IP rating I guess, anyway we always tell our customer that they will have to protect the enclosure from weather and wind but our recommendations don't always seem to reach the end customer unfortunally.

In the end I guess it will come down to the price anyway since coolers that are more advanced and have higher IP ratings will cost more (I assume) and the current cooler that they don't want cost several $$$

Strange they won't tell you what coolers are higher rated after insisting they exist. I mean, for any A/C unit to work the condenser needs to be exposed to the open air. Sounds like they're asking you for an A/C unit that violates the principles of thermodynamics.

Strange they won't tell you what coolers are higher rated after insisting they exist. I mean, for any A/C unit to work the condenser needs to be exposed to the open air. Sounds like they're asking you for an A/C unit that violates the principles of thermodynamics.

Exactly what I thought! I think somehow they got the wrong impression of the whole cabinet, once we show pictures and show them what we use and how, hopefully they will be satisfied with what we have.

Exactly what I thought! I think somehow they got the wrong impression of the whole cabinet, once we show pictures and show them what we use and how, hopefully they will be satisfied with what we have.

Yeah. I'm wondering if they want to maintain a certain IP rating of the electrical panel, which is definitely possible with a closed-loop A/C unit.

Yes, we rate the cabinet IP54 and cooler IP34. They insist that even the cooler must be IP54, so we just have to find a way around it or maybe they can provide a solution.

Thanks for the effort MrQ but we need a 500W cooler, never used them but IP65 seems alot just by looking at the picture of them. Pretty big airvents to be IP65?

Follow up on this thread: we ship coolers to diffrent countries with diffrent voltage. 400, 415,440,460,480,500 VAC.. we try to find cooler that can run on these voltages. 1ph, 2ph, 3ph doesen't matter. I can't seem to find any. A transformer isn't an option because it will add heat to the cabinet, causing us to take a bigger cooler and that in its turn causing us to take an even bigger transformer. Anyone know cooler with diffrent voltages? I have only found 24VAC, 24VDC, 230V, 115V, 200V, 480V