Ethernet from remote IO

rocksalt

I have a RS5000 controller that communicates to two racks via Ethernet. I would like to add an Ethernet adapter to the remote IO and use it for communication to the processor via my laptop for online browsing. I cannot get to the processor from the RIO back to the processor. I can only see the rack the Ethernet is connected to. Is there a way to get to the processor this way?

RSLinx Classic cannot automatically browse a "remote" EtherNet/IP network like you describe. It can browse ControlNet and 1756 backplanes, but it doesn't have the ability to send out a broadcast packet on the Ethernet network that is connected between your CPU rack and your I/O rack.

But you can manually tell it the IP addresses of the devices on the CPU/IO network.

1. Navigate to the 1756-ENBT module on your laptop access network.

2. Browse the backplane and find the "CPU/IO" network's 1756-ENxT module.

3. Click on the [+] for that module to show the Ethernet network connected to it.

4. Right-click on the "A, Ethernet" network and select Properties.

5. Enter the IP addresses of the devices on the "CPU/IO" network that you want to browse.

That should allow you to browse through the 1756 backplane to the specific devices on the CPU/IO network using RSLinx Classic.

I do have another problem... I want to "test display" in my panelview program in the same way.. I am not able to browse the backplane as in before through RS enterprise.

Is there something I can do?

I am less sure about how to configure RSLinx Enterprise to do this.

RSLinx Enterprise is like an excited puppy in the way it goes in and out of browse mode and helpfully deletes devices from the schema when they time out.

So try to keep it from browsing by not double-clicking anything, and very carefully add devices manually to the schema by right-clicking and selecting "Add Device".

Ok, I got it to work.

Not sure what exactly I did....

I re-booted factory talk view and browsed through the communications tab to the link. Then I went to communications and it appeared.

I did try and 'add device' to no avail. It worked to show the remote IO but not browse through the backplane to the processor.

Not trying to thread hyjack here. Just want to say tks to Ken. That little piece of advice you gave on how to add devices on a remote ethernet connection from an ENBT finally enabled me to add a bunch of drives that I have to my Linx RSWHO tree.
Very nice.