encoder in analog out micrologix 1500

lightning

how to change a encoder pulse to analog out ? I would like to use a 1000 ppr encoder one shot the value every tenth second to scalable analog. 60 pcs per minuite =60,000 per minute. I have a micro logix 1500. There will need to be 3 inverters run on analog signals out. Timing can be course as long as flights do not line up. I would like to shave off 10% of upstream conveyer to time.
any help never used hsc what encoder to use possible? proximity switches to measure flights.

thanks,
pete đź“š

Last edited:
Unfortunately I have no idea from your post what kind of device or mechanism you are trying to control. The speed and "flights" and counts per revolution really need to be described with regard to a machine system that you can describe or illustrate.

You said there are three "inverters" run by the analog outputs.

Are there also three encoders, and therefore three pulse-train inputs ?

The MicroLogix 1500 controller has two high-speed input channels, but you can add 1769-HSC modules as well.

Are you restricted to using a MicroLogix 1500 ? Is the MicroLogix 1500 already controlling the machine ?

There are also ordinary frequency-to-analog converters available that may be more suitable for this function.

Unfortunately I have no idea from your post what kind of device or mechanism you are trying to control. The speed and "flights" and counts per revolution really need to be described with regard to a machine system that you can describe or illustrate. one revolution would = 1 flight pocket or 1000 counts

You said there are three "inverters" run by the analog outputs. power flex 4's

Are there also three encoders, and therefore three pulse-train inputs ? one encoder on lead machine it is a bread bagger following will be a bread wrapper OR conveyer for unwrapped bread

The MicroLogix 1500 controller has two high-speed input channels, but you can add 1769-HSC modules as well.

Are you restricted to using a MicroLogix 1500 ? Is the MicroLogix 1500 already controlling the machine ? it is readily available did not want to add analog in card

Please answer in complete sentences; I find it very hard to separate your fragmentary answers from the preceding quotes and questions.

The machine is a bread bagger, followed by a bread wrapper or conveyor.

There is one encoder on the bread bagger.

One revolution would equal 1 flight pocket or 1000 counts

The inverters are PowerFlex 4 variable frequency drives

The MicroLogix 1500 is readily available, and did not want to add an analog input card.

the wrapper will follow or conveyer only 1 runs at time
there is a similar system running with a analog input on a 1200 not totally satisfied with outcome but it works, I thought the encoder input would work better. one question how do I change a hsc to analog value

Last edited:
First let's be sure you have an appropriate I/O base for the MicroLogix 1500. Only the DC Input models can run the High-Speed Counter (HSC) functions.

You also need to adjust the input filters (I/O Configuration -> Advanced Config-> Embedded IO Configuration) to an appropriate value, as the default is 8 ms.

The MicroLogix 1500 does not have a built-in "Rate" mode.

The best way to create a "Rate" mode is to use the Selectable Timed Interrupt (STI) feature in conjunction with an ordinary Counter mode.

The MicroLogix 1500 Instruction Set Reference will help describe both the STI and HSC features.

There are also some very good Knowledgebase documents about these features, in particular:

Knowledgebase Article 19445: Use STI to calculate High Speed Counter input Rate on MicroLogix controllers

Knowledgebase Article 17447: Quick Start: Using the High Speed Counter (HSC) with MicroLogix 1100, 1200, 1400, and 1500.

Both of those Knowledgebase articles require you to sign in with a valid TechConnect contract number.