1734 Aent design flaw?

scott.maddox

I witnessed a strange happening today when working with 1734 Aent modules. As I swung the power connector into place all of my relays tied to OB8 modules turned on for a quick second. I noticed it happened again whenever I unplugged the power connector.
This all seemed to stem from several things. The biggest problem is the second you apply 24vdc + to the Aent it will let the voltage pass through to all of the I/O modules regardless of their previous state. Due to the design of the power connector it has to swing into place allowing the positive to make contact first. Once you firmly connect the power piece the common will make contact which cuts off the voltage flowing out the OB8 modules. I found that this happens only when you ground the commons. I believe the problem has to do with the chassis ground completing the circuit as you are connecting the power.
In my line of work we these relays are controlling door locks for prisons so anytime you power a relay accidently you could be causing serious security risks. Not to mention all of the inrush current from these locks is occurring simultaneously.
Anyone else seen anything like this? Obviously for now my solution is to not ground my common but I still think this is a design flaw.

Thanks Ken! That is almost exactly like what I saw. The only caveot being it did not mention you should not ground your common. You can still have a potential for this to happen if its grounded.

I still think its something they should fix with a hardware revision. All they would have to do it swap the location of the positive and negative on the connector. Because of the way it connects the positive always makes contact first. Swapping them would avoid this altogether. Or they could just make the pins for the common on the chassis longer so they contact first. To me it seems like a no brained when the stakes can be so high.