SLC 5/03 with modem

cmpeters111

I have a machine with a SLC 5/03 that an OEM uses a modem to remotely access if we have issues. If you leave the plc disconnected from the modem an dial in the modem connects and sounds nice and clear. We also plugged a land line phone and called it and the call is nice and clear. If you dial in while the plc is connected to the modem there is substantial noise on the line and you cannot get a good connection to the plc. There is a ground rod installed for the machine which goes to the subpanel. The ground wire on the PLC power supply is connected. There is continuity to the plc ground to the ground rod. There is a panelview on the other port but we have unplugged that with no gain. We have even tried isolating the plc off the machine power and running it off the building 120v with a line reactor with no success.

I use the rs-232 port to pull data collection so i know the port is fine, it just will not work with the modem. We have a similiar machine at another building which they can connect to fine. We have swapped modems but the problem stays isolated to just the one machine.

They own the program and i cannot access it. Knowing the phone line is good and the rs-232 port is good could they have a bad setting on the port causing the noise or does anyone know of anything else to try other than spending high dollar to switch to 5/05 with ethernet and a vpn?

thanks