AB 1746-P2 Power supply

nelg84

Hi All,
I'm having trouble powering up the PS on the SLC500. I have smoked 2 fuses (250V 3A) and the jumper is definitely in the right position for 240V which is what I'm feeding it.

Has anyone else had this problem? Do I need an isolation Transformer or similar for this PS? The second fuse that blew took about 10 seconds which leads me to believe there could be an undervoltage from the supply.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Have you tried powering up the power supply without anything connected to it, this would help to isolate what id causing the fuse to blow, if it powers up Ok then it could be something in the rack drawing to much power for the power supply to handle but it more likely that the power supply id faulty.

Alan

Thanks Alan. I powered up the ps on its own and did the same thing. I looked at the board and there's no obvious signs of failure - caps are all flat on top and no blackness anywhere on board.

I think this has happened to others but couldn't get an answer from their discussion. I thought maybe there'd be a sacrificial part on the board besides the fuse that could be replaced - not sure looking at it.

Sounds like something on the input side of the switch mode power supply in the 1746-P2, if you have a good knowledge of switch mode power supplies you may be able to repair it yourself.

Alan