How can I read data from a barcode scanner to a S7-1200?

JAM007

I am currently attempting to read barcode data from a Honeywell QuantumT (Model: MS3580) Barcode Scanner with my S7-1200 (Totally Integrated Automation), but don't know where to begin. How can I get the S7 to read the barcodes being scanned? The scanner uses USB, so I'm trying to get the data through my computer that I am running TIA on.

The project I am working on is basically a sorting system. There are 9 blocks that are positioned next to their own individual solenoids. When the solenoids are activated by the user through the HMI, the block will be pushed down onto a conveyor belt. At the end of the conveyor belt is a micro-switch and scanner. When the block hits the micro-switch, it will activate a robotic arm to pick up the block and place it into one of three compartments based on the barcode that is scanned. I have already created all of the logic for everything in the project, except for the scanner portion.

So to sum it up, I am trying to read data through the USB from the scanner that will go through my computer, and then sent to the PLC through a CAT6 cable. Any help would be appreciated.

How is it that you were planning on the data to go 'through' your computer?

A USB connected barcode scanner generally wedges its data into whatever application is open, be it Notepad, Excel, Word, or a custom VB application. You can hook it up and try it. I have done many a VB application that way. But it lands on the PC app and that's as far as it goes.

If you DID write a custom VB app, you could maybe send it through an OPC server or some other means to the PLC.

Yeah, the data from the scanner is displayed on a Notepad doc.
Would it be possible through an FTP server, such as filezilla?

I think Siemens typically recommends a serial barcode scanner for communication directly to the PLC's, or an Ethernet model. If you want a USB scanner, then I've seen them go through the HMI.

USB scanners basically just act like keyboards. On the HMI you would click an IO field, then scan the barcode. Instead of using the onscreen keyboard, it would get key input from the scanner.

How much is your time worth?
It would probably be easier / cheaper to just go buy a bar code scanner that works on PROFINET. Then the PLC can communicate with directly.

Would it be easier to just use a color sensor? There are 3 different colored blocks in my project, and 3 blocks of each color.

Last edited:
That scanner supports a rs232 interface. I'd reconfigure to that and hook it directly to the PLC assuming yours has a spare rs232 port that support ASCII.

If so, I *think* there are some preconfigured routines for reading in point to point data?

Last edited:
It doesn't come with RS232 built in, but there are communications cards that support it. Dravik is correct, though, there are built in routines.