Moved RSLinx Gateway Activation - Lost Activation Files

rguimond

Lifetime Supporting Member
Oops. I tried moving RSLinx Gateway from a virtual machine to a USB drive so I could move it to a different PC. It said it copied OK to the USB drive, but when I try to move the activation to the new PC, it says the activation files have the wrong attribute.

What's really strange is that is I hover over the RSLinx icon on the lower right of my screen (virtual machine), it still says "Activation: Gateway".

I didn't have the patience to wait on hold for the "46 minutes to 1 hour" I was advised I'd have to endure by Rockwell Technical Support. Maybe I won't have to tomorrow if someone can help me out...

Is this the .lic file in your Activations directory? These are usually tied to something specific to a set of hardware, like a hard drive serial number or the MAC address of your ethernet adapter. The serial number of your physical hard drive is most likely different than the serial number of your VM's "hard drive." Without knowing how you went about activation I can't say for sure.

I think your best bet if you're moving activations between PCs that aren't networked together quite often is to buy a license dongle from rockwell. Rehost your activation and point it to the dongle itself. Then on each PC (or virtual machine) you're running, set up the USB dongle as an activation server in addition to the standard directory.

The reason you're seeing the Gateway activation still on your virtual machine is most likely the 7 day grace period Rockwell gives you if the license goes missing. It won't be there after a week or so if you don't put the license back.