CompactLogix 5370L2 controller to Panel View 6 Plus

sxj1988

I have a question about how to get the PLC communicate with the PanelView?
(This is my first time trying to connect it)

Equipment:

PLC: Compact Logix 5370 L2 Controller (1769-L24ER-QB1B)
PanelView: Allen Bradley PanelView Plus 600 (2711PC - T6C20D8 SER A)

At the moment my computer is connected to the PLC (via USB port) and I have an ethernet cable going from the plc to the panel view. I've tried to "Add a new device" through RsLinx Classic and I get nothing.

I've used RsLinx Enterprise and still no luck, also tried with the FactoryTalk View Studio and I am able to add the device manually, but it does not seem to be communicating.

So I was wondering what do I need to do in order to get the PLC communicate with the PanelView?

Thanks in advance

You don't have to place the Panelview Plus into the I/O list of the CompactLogix. The PLC doesn't initiate communication with the HMI, it just responds to request from the HMI.

When it comes time to send an application to the Panelview the programming PC must have a communication link - usually Ethernet - to the Panelview's port (through a switch I would guess). At that point RSLinx should be able to 'see' the panelview.

I already set up the PanelView IP address: 192.168.1.125
PLC I dont think I have set it up yet.

You need to give the PLC an IP address. Since you are already connecting to it via USB you could do this directly in the Controller Properties dialogue box inside RsLogix 5000. Select the "Internet Protocol" tab and Select Manually configure IP settings. Then input your desired IP settings.

Update:

I already setup the PLC IP address: I pinged it from cmd I got 192.168.1.10.
I tried pinging it through the cmd and it times out.
Then what should I do next? RsLinx classic does not sees the panel view.
I also tried DF1 (RS -232 port) and it does not Autoconfigure.

What is the IP address of the PC you are trying to ping it with? What IP address do you have on the PLC? How is the network setup for the PLC, HMI and PC to communicate?

PLC IP address: 192.168.1.125 (Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0)
PC IP Address: 129.21.187.162 (Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0)
Panel View IP address: 192.168.1.10 (Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0)

The PLC is connected to the Computer via USB port, while the Panel view is connected through the Ethernet port.

PLC -----> PC (via USB cable)
Panel View -----> PLC (via Ethernet cable)

Well, your PC will not be able to talk via Ethernet to either the PLC or PV.
Totally different subnets, ranges, etc.

Do you have the PV connected to the PLC via a switch or just an ethernet cable from end to end?

The PLC, PC and the Panel view is connected to a Ethernet hub.

The hub has 5 ports in total.

1 - Ethernet cable -- > Computer
2 - Ethernet cable -- > PLC
3 - Ethernet cable -- > Panel View
4 - Not in used
5- Internet

How should I connect the Panel view in order to get it communicating through the Ethernet port?

Do as Dravik suggested. Place a switch between the PLC and the Panelview and connect a free port on the switch to your laptop. You'll have to give your PC a static IP address in the range of 192.168.1.xx This will allow you to ping both the PLC and the PanelView from your PC. You should now see both devices in RSLinx via ethernet. Hope this helps.

You were faster in replying. According to your setup you just need to give your PC a static IP address you should be good to go.

Last edited:
Ok, i'd disconnect the 'Internet' port.

Then I would remap the PC ip address to be on the same subnet as the PV/PLC for the short term(give it something in the 192.168.1.x range, use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet, no GW)

After that, you should be able to ping both the PLC and PV.

I changed everything (PC, PLC, Panel view) based on the IP address on the computer.

The PC:
IPv4: 129.21.187.162 (Sorry it wasnt the 192.168.1.x)
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 129.21.187.254

Panel View:
IP: 129.21.187.169
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
DNS: No

PLC: (Controller IP options in Studio 5000)
IP: 129.21.187.165
Subnet: 255.255.255.0

I can see the PLC under Ethernet/IP but still cannot see the Panel view. I already added the Panel view through the Factory View. Is there anything I am missing?